Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,085 Posts1,056,329 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 | Did McGurk, Nicson, Edelbrock, Thickstun, Edmunds. or anyone else other than Offy make intakes for the later, bigger port/wider carb spacing motors? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 | Why would they want to? Even a 261 is massively over-carbureted with the small bore carbs. Two 216 carburetors will support a 432 cubic inch engine. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | Edelbrock part number 1020 was for the size 3 bolt pattern.
Weiand part number WC-101-PG I think was size 3.
I do not have catalogues for the other companies.
It was common "in the day" for the aftermarket manifold manufacturer to make the manifolds with the bolt spacing for multiples of the original carburetor size (regardless of if the engine were over-carbureted). That way the customer could order additional units of the original carburetor.
Jon Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 | According to the info I've gathered from various sources, one of which is a best friend with an impressive collection I've seen firsthand, as well as old magazine ads and catalogs: -Edelbrock, Edmunds (water heated), Fenton (squared ends), Fenton (rounded ends), Nicson (heated and unheated), and Thickstun (dogbone style) all offered 1-barrel duals with the SAE 3 size carb base. I was also guessing the Weiand PG dual used SAE 3 carbs, but haven't confirmed. Sharp made a PG dual, also guessing/assuming it's SAE 3. -Fred's Speed Equipment made an unheated triple in SAE 3 size (I've only ever seen/heard of the one my friend owns). I would not consider this an exhaustive list. I know D&S, Edmunds, and VonEsser (speed shop in Chicago) had duals made from the familiar square-ended Fenton pattern, but I don't know what size(s) they came in. Almquist, Chiles, Clifford, MultiPower, and Newhouse made 1-barrel duals but I don't have information on sizes. Chiles, Lee, and Tattersfield offered 1-barrel triples but I don't know the sizes. Some of those I've only seen in advertisements, never in person or in photos. I haven't tried to dig into what Clifford offered and I don't have good info on carb sizes on Offenhauser intakes. It's my understanding that the newer Thickstun stuff for 235 (4-bolt valve cover, short side cover) are more late-model reboot type stuff. I'm not sure where the 235-sized dogbone intake fits into the timeline. I recall reading somewhere that McGurk made duals with the 235/261 port size, but still used the SAE 2 size carbs. This page seems to confirm that the McGurk Super Dual used the smaller sized carb: https://images20.fotki.com/v1678/photos/2/100702/16488813/McGurkIntakeFlyer1-vi.jpgLooks like McGurk offered the Competition triple in both sizes: https://images12.fotki.com/v1677/photos/2/100702/16488813/McGurkIntakeFlyer2-vi.jpgI have a couple late 50s Almquist catalogs, a 1952 Ansen catalog, and a California Bill catalog you can peruse here: https://public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/stovebolt-reading/almquist5758/https://public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/stovebolt-reading/almquist59/https://public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/stovebolt-reading/ansen52/https://public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/stovebolt-reading/chevspeedequip/Here's a page from the Nicson brochure: https://public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/stovebolt-reading/nicson/nicson-brochure-1950-3.html
Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 04/27/2026 3:20 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 | OK, that McGurk would be perfect. I suppose that would be like finding a unicorn, and crazy price if I do. But now I know at least know they exist. Thanks for posing those links. It's fun looking at those old ads as well as informative. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 | There's one on eBay right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/117065917416You can see the inboard bolt holes for the intake to heat are broken. One of the bottom ones looks bigger, maybe stripped. Someone proficient in TIG welding aluminum could fix that up, if not making it pretty, at least make sure it's functional. There's another that's in better shape, but it's a STD, and has a pair of W-1's on it. Might be worth doing a saved search on eBay so you'll get notified when they pop up.
Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 04/27/2026 9:24 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 | There's one on eBay right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/117065917416You can see the inboard bolt holes for the intake to heat are broken. One of the bottom ones looks bigger, maybe stripped. Someone proficient in TIG welding aluminum could fix that up, if not making it pretty, at least make sure it's functional. There's another that's in better shape, but it's a STD, and has a pair of W-1's on it. I looked at this one before. To me it looked like someone did a horrible job egging out the heat riser holes to make it fit a later motor with the narrower bolt spacing. So I assumed this was a 216 version with the smaller ports that someone hacked up to fit. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 | The PG on the middle port says it's 235. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 605 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 605 | @EchoBravoSierra Thank you for posting up all those old hot rod catalogs! I've always really enjoyed looking through them. Kinda wishing there was a modern version of the Edelbrock manifold for 1950s Cadillac V8s, it's actually pretty modern looking. Amazing how those old engineers sometimes made things that look perfectly in place in 2026.
1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 | @Tronman, glad you enjoyed them! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2023 Posts: 327 | The PG on the middle port says it's 235. Is that for "Power Glide"? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 362 | The PG on the middle port says it's 235. Is that for "Power Glide"? Yessir! Those with STD are "standard", or 216.
Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 04/30/2026 7:12 PM.
| | |
| |