The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (39Master85, Mike B, Phak1, wvstovebolt), 111 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,698
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
Just picked up my starter motor from the repair shop. They went through it cleaning and replacing some components. I mentioned bringing in the old generator to have them check it out. The shop owner told me if anything had to be done on it the repair bill could run as much as $400 easily. Said if I didn't care about straying from all original it would be far better to purchase an alternator and ditch the old generator and voltage regulator. I was thinking that direction in any case. This is on the 1956 3100 I'm restoring.

Your thoughts, one way or another?

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,478
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,478
Alternator is what did on my 2 old trucks. They are drivers. 3 wire works better than 1 wire and not that much harder to install.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
I have a 63 amp 10SI alternator installed and I am happy with it. This is a three wire alternator. The sense wire runs to the accessory side of the ignition switch. If you run it to the ignition, the engine will not shut off. Plenty of posts on this forum on how to do it.

e.g.
10SI alternator

To install, I swapped the generator bracket end to end and drilled a new hole to match the mounting points on the block. This made the alternator pulley line up with the water pump pulley.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Putting an "idiot light" in series between the sensor terminal and the ignition switch will prevent feedback to the ignition system and avoid the run-on problem on shutdown. Use a regular 2-wire incandescent indicator bulb, not an LED. The bulb filament limits the current backflow so there's not enough to power the ignition system.

www.ebay.com/itm/115585726046?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
If *looking" original is still desired, I seem to recall at least one vendor who sells an alternator that looks like the original generator....

I just looked one up (Powermaster) while I was writing this .... ouch. They want close to $600 for it. Nevermind .... frown


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Welcome to the site. I have a one wire 100 amp. Installed it a few years ago and have had very good luck...much better than a generator. If you're installing an AC and electric radiator fan or fans, you will definitely need an alternator. I haven't spent a summer in San Angelo since the mid 60s but as I recall, July can be pretty hot.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
Originally Posted by John Milliman
If *looking" original is still desired, I seem to recall at least one vendor who sells an alternator that looks like the original generator....

I just looked one up (Powermaster) while I was writing this .... ouch. They want close to $600 for it. Nevermind .... frown

Yeah, those are cool but not at that price.

You buy an all-black 10si alternator without spending a ton of money. Although it won’t fool anyone who’s looking closely, I do think a black one draws less attention and looks less out of place on an old engine.

That’s kinda/sorta the plan for my truck when I get around to it. Generator just keeps working so it never makes the top of the list.

Alongside that, also have a half-baked idea on gutting a voltage regulator and using it to hide some junctions and fuses.


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,904
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,904
If I was faced with spending that kind of dough, I'd switch to an AC generator as well. As it is, All of my vehicles with dc generators just keep working. The one in the Cadillac was rebuilt about 5 years ago along with Ol'Roy's. Those rebuilds/repairs cost about $100 each.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
Very hot, but dry hot in the summer.

As always, thank you for your input, fellow stovebolters (smiley face goes here).

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Powermaster also doubles as a vacuum cleaner- - - - - -it sucks money right out of your pocket!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2025
Posts: 50
Lot of vacuum cleaners out there, for sure.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
I changed my '58 4400 to an alternator. It was one of the best modifications I have done as Bang for the Buck. I purchased a internally regulated AC Delco reman from RockAuto or less than $80.00. The internally regulated alternator eliminates the firewall mounted regulator.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0