The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (fonz8261, Forty9, Gdads51, 52Carl, 2-Ton, RoadsScholar, mk72), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,343
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1601892 04/15/2026 3:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Requesting help for correct switch wiring.
Switch has posts labeled L H P B.
Wires from motor to switch are red yellow green white.
Thank you if you can match wires to their posts.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
James - Without knowing what the source was for you electric wiper unit, kinda hard to just guess from the information given. I looked through your old posts and couldn't find anything identifying what brand/model you installed.

Can you provide that info??? Then perhaps someone can offer more help on your wiring connections. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 361
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 361
I would guess that the following:
L = Low
H = High
P = Park
B = Battery

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Thank you. I still don't know about which wire color goes to each one of the 4 labeled posts. Perhaps someone has the instructions which would include a wiring diagram.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
I am thinking that there probably aren't too many conversion motos from vacuum wiper motors to electric motors. Perhaps any recent electric motor conversion has the same wire colors and switch. Guessing there aren't a lot of manufacturers for these vintage trucks.

I may try to see if LMC or Jim Carter would be willing to check the installation instructions with one of theirs in inventory.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
I have searched for wiring diagrams.
I think this is a start.

B red
L yellow
H white
P green

I'll test it.

If anyone can verify this.
Attachments
20260416_131617.jpg (146.06 KB, 70 downloads)
20260416_131755.jpg (259.71 KB, 67 downloads)

Last edited by Gdads51; 04/16/2026 7:35 PM. Reason: Add photos/fix to allow photos to display
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 361
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 361
Pictures of the motor and switch would be helpful. Model numbers and manufacturer would also help.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
James - I think you have the sequence correct. I watched this video of an installation of a unit that appears to be the same as yours.

Easy to bench test if you replicate what the installer did in his video. Let us know the results please.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
The wires are correct. I didn't realize that I needed to ground the switch too. The motor sure.

I mounted the motor and adjusted the angle on the arm where the short and long linkages attach.

Is there a trick or tips as to how I can manage to secure the 2 clips w a spring pulling them together that holds the linkage arms on to the motor? I've succeeded once before. Very awkward and not much room for my hand. Plus you have to do it by feel. Not visible from underneath lying on the floor. The photo shows the 2 clips.
Attachments
Screenshot_20260417_212321_Google.jpg (37.12 KB, 45 downloads)

Last edited by jameschevypu50; 04/18/2026 1:35 AM.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
My tip for the clip assembly is to buy 2. I lost my first one under the dash and didn't find it until I ordered and received the second one.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
Years ago I wrote a circuit for an intermittent electric motor and posted it here. I designed it with 4 intermittent settings plus low and high. Someday I probably should make it into a product. Part of the problem with electric motors is if you drive your truck in the rain you will find the low speed and high speed settings just don't seem to work well with the rate of the rain. Good luck.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
I actually have several clips but keep dropping the plastic washer while trying to attach the spring clips. Lack of space for my fingers. I see where some have remove the arms and then remove the motor then attach the linkage and reinstall the motor w linkage. Not real thrilled with that w more to install together.

Last edited by jameschevypu50; 04/18/2026 12:47 PM.
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Quick update. . I used a zip tie to secure the long linkage arm in place Very carefully w both linkage arms in place and the washers resting on top of wheel pins, I eased the 2 clips into the grooves w the spring securing them. Cut the zip tie and did a another test w/o the wipers mounted. Replaced the original enormous radio which obscures seeing anything, and breathed a sigh of relief.

I would tell anyone to check the allen lock screws on the motor's pivoting wheel ... that wheel separated from the motor w the linkages in place..

Not a fun job to redo.. I will also use products like Rain Block on the windshield.

Trying find better quality wiper arms and especially wiper blades.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,906
Great follow up info on your successful task. It could save a fellow Bolter some grief and frustration in the future. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0