We decided to add a detached 24x24 2-bay garage here at HQ with a 1-BR apartment above for visitors (we have no 2nd bedroom at HQ ... )
Thanks to what I learned working for Pat Guy (Guy Excavating), I am doing the dirt work -- basic lot prep of removing a few trees, then grading and prepping for the footers. Then, filling and spreading the gravel for the slab. After, I will take care of backfilling, final grading, seeding, etc.
To date, the footers are in and block foundation is built. Today, we've almost finished graveling the hole getting ready for the slab pour. Here are some pics.
The tree was a Hickory, not a hockory. Don't make fun -- *you* try typing with these fingers.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Too bad about the hockery tree. The nuts make great BBQ smoke.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
It looks to me to be a nice place to work, relax, and nice place to sleep😎. Thats the best looking all in one man cave I’ve seen! Are you sure it’s just for visitors ?
1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton "Tales from a weekend mechanic" Follow in the DITY
Looks outstanding John and having the pond to look out over after a day of toiling in the shop (more like having a ton of fun!) sounds like the Best Man Cave Ever!!!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Bill, The hickory is providing two good saw logs as well as a bunch of firewood for the woodstove that will heat that building. I plan to use the hickory in my furniture making, along with the cherry.
Ponch -- Yes, the upstairs will be our guest quarters.
Dan -- I don't do the "man cave" thing. The whole farm is my place of happiness. I am happiest these days lost in a woodworking project, covered with sawdust, Mozart on the stereo, pencil behind my ear, square in hand taking 45 minutes to set up the tablesaw to do a 30-second cut But speaking of mancave stuff, I do need to get around to making a shadow box for my Mameluke (real pre-ban ivory grips )
Utah -- Actually, the garage is going to be my new woodshop. The house garage here gets to return to being the home of the '49 and the truck bay. All the automotive tools will stay in here, all the woodworking stuff goes over to the new facility. The '49 is currently out in the barn ...
Last edited by John Milliman; 04/07/20266:23 PM.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Looks great John. How deep are your footings? Needs to be at least 42” here in Omaha. Did you rebar and slush the blocks or add a bond beam? Just curious, there’s a lot of weight against those walls.
Also, I like how you placed wider blocks to support the floor.👍
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
Having room for visitors is another "happiness" key for us. We enjoy being hospitable and have missed that here. The few folks who have visited from afar have had to go off the mountain to a hotel in Scottsboro. Not quite the same. The Guesthouse can expand some with plenty of room around the property for camping, fishing, gun stuff.
The ODSS gang that helped us move can vouch for how difficult it was with only one bathroom.
We feel truly blessed and John is having a grand time with it all.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
John, Cumberland Mountain/The Cumberland Plateau is mostly a huge pile of sedimentary rock (sandstone and conglomerate). The footers are approximately 12 inches down and sitting, mostly, on ledge. We'd need to blast through rock to go any deeper there there, which may make a septic system ... challenging. Yes, the base at the corners and all along the tall wall are 12-inch block. Some rebar and the block is partially gravel filled and will have more rebar and concrete added when the slab gets poured.
Inside the foundation, it took about 50 yards of 67 gravel to fill. I'll run the plate tamper over it one more time and then we should be ready for the plumber and then the concrete.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
If you haven't considered that. John. Definitely do it. Nothing better for a shop.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
That project makes my little16 X 50 slab floor for my shop addition look like small time effort. I have to do a little land clearing and leveling, plus a gravel base and a 6' thick reinforced concrete slab. I have 20 foot long steel bar joists for roof supports, and the 53 foot refrigerated road trailer that's been there for several years will make the outer wall. That one's got enough insulation that I can heat it with a candle and cool it with a block of ice! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Heated floors? With the wood stove in there, I doubt lack of heat will be a problem.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Heated floors? With the wood stove in there, I doubt lack of heat will be a problem.
Wood heating still leaves one with cold feet, or if you're working under something and have to lay on the floor, a heated floor is very nice. But it's a bit hard to do heated floors with a wood fired system.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Radiant floor heat can be pretty straight forward with wood, lots of folks here in Michigan use an outdoor boiler and it can heat an air handler, domestic water, in-floor radiant, etc. If I were ever to build, it would have radiant floor heat! Like Omaha, we need at least 42" depth for footings. I have been heavily involved with our 8500 sq. ft church addition for the past few months, 40 hours a week is hard on a retired guy.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
A cool floor might be nice in Alabama😎 Just sayin’
Last edited by Steelonsteel; 04/10/20264:07 PM.
~Charley 1954 Chevy 3100 with 235 “Bud” Follow along in the DITY 1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230 1954 GMC 3 ton 302 And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
A cool floor might be nice in Alabama😎 Just sayin’
I hear you. But a radiant floor system can also be used to cool the floor, just takes some switchover components to pump cool liquid thru the tubing in the floor. Like 78buskshot said, the first time I encountered a heated floor, the guy used an outdoor wood fired boiler. We were working on a guy's truck in the winter and laid right on the concrete to work on some wiring. Also but in a different sense.
Even if you don't hook it up, putting tubing just under the slab (on a layer of insulation board) gives you the option in the future. It's kinda hard to do later.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
When you go to do your feeder for power wire and your panel. Way Oversize it. especially if is going to be hidden or hard to upsize later. it is easy to add new branch circuits and breakers at a later time. A lot harder and expensive to upgrade a feeder wire and panel if you max it out with lots of tools and toys and dare i say it "large amp chargers" cough cough.
Hah, cooling floors is “simple”, it’s also complicated. Cooling your feet and staying comfortable or kneeling on a cool floor….always interesting, but condensation is a very real concern. I have not read the entire post but a +-42” deep pit would be pretty cool in all that gravel……working under a vehicle on a mechanics rolling seat could be awesome, but thinking it thru I also suspect it may be a complex endeavor.
Thanks for all the input about the heated floor. All I have to say about that is that the ground floor/slab space in that building is planned to be my wood shop. If I'm laying on the floor, somebody better be calling 911...
Yes, a radiant heat floor would be nice ... if I lived further North. This is Alabamalama. The woodstove will do nicely for the few days each year it will be needed. As for the warm weather, I plan on opening the garage door on one end and the sliding glass dor on the other and letting the cross breeze do the trick.
This is Northeast Alabamy and we're on top of the Cumberland Plateau. I am a born and raised Northern New England/Quebec boy ... these people may think it gets cold here in the winter ... It does not. And as for the Summer, like I said, we're on a mountain and I just spent the last 25 years on the Chesapeake Bay ... These Alabamians don't have the first clue what real humidity and heat are like! This place is Heaven!
HCB -- Indeed! Point well taken!
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
On those days the climate is made up of "air you can wear" with humidity approaching triple digits, nothing beats a BIG fan. I've got one in my shop that's about 4 feet in diameter and moves enough air to ventilate a small coal mine! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
The slab is getting poured tomorrow. The first cement truck is scheduled to appear at 0800. I will be taking pictures and video so Peggy can see what they're doing. Whether or not I post them here as fodder for Vultures' Row is quite another story ....
Meanwhile, I continued to act as Pond Security for all my fishies -- keeping them safe from nasty snapping turtles. Used Dad's Winchester Model 70 (pre-64 ) with the vintage Kollmorgen Bear Cub glass to "unalive" a sunbathing snapping menace. Turtles: 0 John: 3
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Nothing like a little overkill, there! I've got a single shot 98 Mauser chambered in .22-250 with a 26" long bull barrel and a 10X steel tube Weaver scope that shoots quarter-sized groups at 200 yards with boring regularity. I found it at a local pawn shop a few years ago, and practically stole it because of a badly deteriorated bluing job on the barrel. The gunsmith who built that one (probably in the 1960s or earlier) really knew what he was doing. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Jerry .... there is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to snappers. I put 5 .45ACP rounds into one once and he was still charging me. My favorite kill was the one I got leaving the shop when I was driving for Pat. I was in the 359 Pete with the 25-ton lowboy with the Case 855 track loader. The turtle was crossing the dirt lane. I got him with the driver steer tire, then both sets of d side duals on the tractor and both sets of duals on the trailer. I was in and out 2 more times that day and made sure to run him over each time. I'm fairly certain that by the end of the day, he was "unalive." But being a snapping turtle, one can't be too sure. So I kept running him over the next day, too.
So turning a snapping turtle into fish food with a soft nose .30-06 is fairly satisfying, killing a snapper with 30 tons of 18-wheeler is way more fun.
Meanwhile ... back at the shop.... looks like Antonio and his crew are just about finished.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
When I was a kid we thought they were tasty. Supposedly, alligator snapping turtles can live to be 200 years old. I remember reading many years ago about one being caught in Louisiana with flint arrowheads in its shell. The biggest I recall that we caught was close to 2' in dia.. We kept trot lines out in the Saline river a free flowing small river that was about 4 miles from the house. Big flatheads were always the best followed by channel cats, but sometimes a snapping turtle would still be on when we ran em in the early mornings. I was 7 or so and Dad used a hand ax and a rope getting him back to the truck. May have towed him back, too long ago to recall. For lack of a better description rib meat, and legs were fine eating. Soup and fried turtle tenders, wish I could go back 65 years for a mess.
I remembered to sign in as me today Thanks John. Antonio (on the power trowel) said he would have it like glass. He was right. His crew really put a lot of effort into the job to make it good. Hector really did a very meticulous job setting my Marine Corps challenge coin into the concrete. Peggy wanted me to scratch our life verse reference (1 Thess 4:11) into the but I couldn't bring myself to do it because Hector had done such as really beautiful job of getting it nice. Besides ... That verse doesn't actually go well with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor as Leading a quiet life and minding one's own business isn't exactly what the U.S. Marine Corps is known for ...
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
That glass-smooth finish, plus a little bit of oil or antifreeze can be a disaster waiting to happen. Back when I was teaching high school auto mechanics, somebody got the brilliant idea to put an epoxy coating on my shop floor. That floor looked good, but when the 50-something year old lady administrator in charge of the vocational department of Metro Nashville schools slipped on it and did a very embarrassing pratfall in front of my students- - - - -the floor got recoated with a little sand in it the second time around! Later, it was discovered that the assistant principal who kept pushing for the floor coating job had received a VERY generous kickback from the contractor! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Happened to meet with Project Manager this afternoon and John was showing him our previous house.
Just wanted to share our "ceiling fan" with you guys. I liked it because it reminds me of helicopters.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Where is the coin in relation to the overall layout of the garage? Is it right in front of a entry door or someplace noticeable?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto, the coin will be off your left ankle as you either lift your right foot to take the first step to go up the stairs or pivot right to go in the 1st floor door.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
If that crew has a "Have trowel-will travel" policy, I might need to get in touch with them before too long! They do good work! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Jerry ... I'll get you Antonio's contact info. Its probably not that different to go to your place as here for them. I admit that I don't know much about concrete work but I'm no stranger to a job site -- I was impressed with their work. Maybe not up to Tim's standards but then again, this is a simple 24x24 structure -- not a Sydney sky scraper...
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I didn’t see any anchors for the wall sill plates. Aren’t those required where you are? Or do they just use powder driven bolts to anchor the walls? Drilling for expansion anchors is more costly that putting L anchor bolts in the wet concrete in the wall cores.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I’m sure John has a plan, but the newer type concrete screws would work as well, and no issues with alignment.
Looking good John!
Last edited by Phak1; 04/17/202611:40 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
My plan is to refill my coffee mug, try not to be the annoying homeowner and watch my builder's framing crew do what they know how to do. I'm assuming *they* have a plan.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Last edited by Phak1; 04/17/20263:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Phil ... I learned how to do that in the Marine Corps where my duties generally consisted of signing for stuff and standing around (coffee mug in hand) watching my Marines do all the fun stuff. After years of practice, If I may say so myself, I'm pretty talented at watching other people work.
JM
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
John and Peggy are pretty far from the pacific ring of fire that we have come to know and love on the West coast here.
Yeah but .... One time while we were stationed in Hawai'i ... yeah, well long story short, I am pretty sure we offended Madam Pele. So ... Peggy and I have been dodging Madam Pele for 30 years now. We live on a mountain. Not inconceivable that Madam Pele will eventually find us and turn the Cumberland Plateau into a megavolcano just to get us. To all our new neighbors here in the Deep South who will get buried in the massive pyroclastic flow ... all I can say is ... sorry.
Oh ... by the way ... The framers got pretty far today
Last edited by John Milliman; 04/18/20261:23 AM.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Utah ... Yeah ...I'm wondering if the FAA is going to make me put a blinking light on top of the roof ...
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I'm surprised they started construction just 10 days after the foundation was poured.
I know it's about 70% cured at 10 days but as a belt and suspenders sort of person, it would bug me to do it before 30 days.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
When we moved to Maryland, I took the '39 to my first cruise-in there. Like all resto's, the '39 was a work in progress. I pull in to a parking spot and as I am setting the parking brake (hadn't shut the engine off yet), a guy comes up to the door and introduces himself as the local chapter president of the VCCA. He then tells me he also owns a '39 half ton and then proceeds to start listing everything that was incorrect about my truck. When he stopped to take a breath, I said "Thank you very much," released the parking brake and went home. I did not renew my VCCA membership and have not been a member since.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I offer guys like that a job- - - - -talking to my garden- - - - -saves me a fortune on fertilizer! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Is there the two guys or is there more ,It sure is going up fast for two guys if thats the case looks like they are hard at work and it is looking good .👍
Kevin, there's 4 of them. They are very professional and have been getting after it. Here's where they left off yesterday. I think they've started the weekend because no one is here yet today.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Amazing progress those guys know what they are doing for sure.Looks like Charlie will be coming in to be pampered soon and that will make a good photo .
Peggy mentioned the really big ceiling fan in the old place...I think that's the largest one I ever installed. If the roof wasn't nailed down I think we'd have "lift-off" when the fan came on...lol!
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
No dumpster on site yet so the Cornbolt got drafted...
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
John -- Yes -- it will have a glass slider out onto its own deck.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Here's a few shots from upstairs now that rough framing is completed and all the bracing has been removed. Plumbing was the last big thing. And the stairs. I think we're waiting for a few things like the sewage grinder pump, the windows and doors and the wood stove before the next phase can kick off. On the wood stove, decided to go with a Quadrafire 2100M this time. I've heard that Vermont Casting's quality has fallen off since they sold out and gone offshore.
One other cool thing -- we're going with a tankless water heater.
Next phase for me will be digging the trenches for the power, water and septic lines once all those are ready to go. Once the woodstove chimney is in and the windows and doors are installed, they can start the siding and finish the roof. The roof will be metal.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I love ours too. Just don't let it freeze. Expensive to replace. Drain it ASAP when the power goes out during freezing weather.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
The latest ... The plumbing team got the septic wrapped up today. I got the trenches in a couple of days ago for the water in and the grinder pump feed line back up to the septic tank. HVAC guys installed most of that stuff today, as well. Doubling as both Homeowner and the excavating sub had me pretty busy most of the day But I got to play in the dirt with big toys
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Why the grinder pump? Is the septic system uphill from the building? Are you sharing one septic for both the house and your shop? If so, what size tank did you go with? Just curious.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
Utah, that's what I said!! Now to figure an "all natural" picnic table.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
John -- Yes, the existing septic system is uphill from this facility. We're pumping up to an existing 2-chamber tank (I'm assuming, based on the outline*, that its a standard 1,000 gallon tank). The existing system is designed for 4 people, two bathrooms. Our house only has one bathroom and one bedroom. So we're essentially completing the original system. As the apartment is not intended for full-time occupation, merely occasional guests, even if we have 4 people in there, plus an RV dumping into the system, we're not likely to have problems... as long as guests don't introduce any unauthorized items into the system... Judging by what I say when we opened the hatch on the tank, the system is currently working optimally. Having worked for Pat on many septic repairs over the last few years, I know what a failed/failing system looks like and I didn't see that so I'm assuming that if it doesn't look like that then it must be "good."
* Irma Bombeck obviously didn't know anything about septic systems when she titled her book "The grass is always greener over the septic tank." Because the concrete of the tank tends to draw moisture from the soil, the brownish patch of drier grass is a dead giveaway as to the spetic tank's location. I've found quite a few septic tanks just by looking for the brown rectangle in the lawn.
Last edited by John Milliman; 06/05/20264:57 PM.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Looking great and I see you've got the metal roof knocked out.
Still planning on installing gutters/downspouts to control run-off around the foundation?
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
That's funny John. Once this place is done, the new spot will be the woodshop and the garage at the house will go back to being a garage. Currently, Charlie, the garage tools and the woodshop tools are in there. To say it's crowded is an understatement. The Stovebolt flag is in the house garage. Plus a bunch of other Stovebolt related hoo-ya.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Still planning on installing gutters/downspouts to control run-off around the foundation?
Is that a serious question?
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
A little bit more site work. Improving the view of the pond. Previously, from the upper deck, all you got was a nice view of the canopy of these trees. Now you can actually see the pond. 3 sweet gums, a maple and a cherry. The gums went straight to the burn pile. The maple is getting cut and split for firewood. The cherry is getting milled.
The trees were all leaning towards the water so I used the big machine to keep them from going for a swim My neighbor, George, did the cutting whilst I operated "Triple Nickel" George's cutting was expertly done and we lined the trees all up neatly on dry ground (and not on the machine )
I'm leaving the stumps because I didn't want to disturb the pond bank. Probably turn 'em into benches.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Yes sir. Just my personal experience and opinion, but diverting the run off through gutters and downspouts away from the perimeter of the structure is advisable. It will help reduce potential foundation and slab and maybe drive from shifting, sinking and/or heaving over the years that can be caused by the concentrated run off landing in the same localized area. Thinking long-term here.
I'd also want to prevent the roof run off from landing on the entry stairs and landing. The treated wood can tolerate regular rainfall directly, but the concentrated run off from the roof is likely to speed up decay of the wood (yes even though it's treated) and could increase slippery conditions on the stairs. It could also affect the footings on the stair support posts.
It's your place and absolutely your call, but if I were doing the same build myself I'd add them for my own peace of mind.
I do really like what you have going!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Dan, I only asked that because your reasons stated above are exactly why it never even entered my thought process to consider *not* putting gutters and down spouts. So that's why I thought you were giving me a hard time.
This is the look I give when I'm asked questions like that. :P
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Not trying to give you a hard time there boss , but maybe I accidentally did yank your chain just a wee bit - hahaha.
The "look" accepted and I'll do my penance. But in my defense, sometimes the "obvious" gets overlooked when so many things are going on at once like with your build. I figure it can't hurt to ask a question, but it can be a royal pain in the backside when the obvious "oops" presents itself.
On another note, that cherry wood will make something beautiful for sure.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Don’t worry about it Dan, that is John’s normal look. I have seen it every time I have been around him.
Nice new addition John and Peggy! My question is , when we stop by and stay, is the stay all inclusive, including food and drinks, and how long will the stay be good for? I’m thinking at least three weeks with room service and the whole stay is free!
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Sure, Don -- the stay is free. Room service, stocked beverage fridge, wifi/internet, the whole works .... but wait, there's more!
You'll also get free membership to our gym and outdoor fitness program -- we'll wake you up at 0600 then you'll get a full 10-hour workout including log toting, lumber stacking, weedwhacking, yard pickup, hay stacking (team building exercise -- those bales weigh approx 1,500 lbs each ), yard raking, rock pickup, fence repair, barn roof painting ....
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I get to sleep in till 6am with only a 10 hour day? Now that is a vacation! Log toting? What about the sawmill/planner work before you stack the wood? Weed whacking, I use a sprayer with weed killer maybe twice a season. Bucking square hay bales is better done in the afternoon after baling in the morning so the barn is nice and warm to stack the hay in. 1,500 lb round bales are handled with the tractor and left outside. Yard raking, just mow over it, rock pickup, just mow around it. Vicki does the fence repair and barn painting. You forgot the say anything about the lake holiday house 1-1/2 hours away and the maintenance on it. Waterline leak under the concrete well house is on my list tomorrow after breakfast with some other retirees, then maybe a swim and a cold one.
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
We stocked our pond with Amazonian piranhas so jump right in. Be sure to give yourself a little cut, first.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Coming along. Sprayed insulation and drywall are the big updates.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Getting there. The drywall covers up all the exciting stuff in the structure though.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Are you going to heat and insulate the out house also? A heated seat would be a nice touch.
But, it is looking good!
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Don ... If I heat the seat, you'll spend too much time in there.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
John, we could probably figure out a way for you to run refrigeration to the seat. LOL! Then it could be like an Alaskan outhouse in the winter.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Kevin -- probably easier just to wire the seat to the nearest 110V outlet.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
If you just wire the seat for a little voltage, you can mount a switch on the outside of the door and if you are taking too long, someone can just flip the switch to hurry them up.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Ron ... Indeed we are -- Mark has been with us a long time. In fact, heading west to go meet Mark is No. 3 on my Bucket List. FWIW, that Western Roadtrip (in da Bus) is going to knock out a number of items on the ole bucket list. Just ahead of him is also in SoCal at No.2 but that's highly personal and I'm not going to share it. No. 6 is "See Wyoming" and No. 5 is "See UP 4014" Yes, I can probably combine those two, but ... Oh, No. 8 is "Spend an entire week at Pima Air and Space Museum." No. 10 is more MidWestern but depending on the time of year, I might get it in -- drive a combine in a gigantic field for hours.
Some items on my bucket list have been crossed off and replaced -- mainly because I accomplished them early. Such as "Drive a 6-horse Belgian hitch," "solo in an airplane," and "drive a battleship."
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
We have paint! Next at bat -- the masonry guy to come do the rock exterior. Also this inning: electrician; flooring; and plumber.
The shop pictures show it in primer. I didn't bother to take any pictures in paint because they would look the same anyway.
Yesterday, we had a heat index here of 104 and humidity to match. With the doors open (not there ...yet... anyway) and the slider open, there was a delightful cross breeze through there. Even better upstairs. It won't require much A/C ... except for thick-blooded Yankee visitors.
The decks will be getting a cable railing system.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
Looks great. How long before it’s totally finished? Workshop and all. Have you hired out everything or are you saving a few finishing touches for yourself?
Just curious, and extremely jealous.😀 Actually, very happy for you and Peggy.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
By trade, I am a truck driver/dirt mover, not a hammer swinger. I have been doing all of the dirt work -- the initial site prep (including removing 4 mature hardwoods and a cedar tree), trenching for the water, septic and power lines, backfill/leveling for the slab pour, backfill against the foundation, site prep for the exterior HVAC unit siting, rock wall for the landscaping, fill and pea gravel under the decks, and I will be doing the final grading and lawn. Not the least of which is siting and creating the swales to move water away from the slab to where it best needs to flow. I'm also the logistics support for final appliance and flooring install.
I did *not* do the footers for the foundation -- the concrete guys wanted to do that as their total package and I was happy to let them. I would have wasted concrete ... They do it all day, every day. I haven't dug footers on a job site in two years. And even then, I wasn't proficient at it (i'm a truck driver ... )
I have been taught by a great mentor/teacher (Pat Guy) how to move dirt around (but I'm just a journeyman at best, not the master that he is) and have been using the basic tools of the dirt trade -- track loader, mini excavator and tractor/box blade. My little dump truck has been very useful as well. As well, I am using the standard hand tools of the dirt trade -- shovel (trench, flat and pointed), rake, laser and story pole, chain saw, and (my fav) Pulaski axe. I use a shovel more than a rake -- a good man with a shovel can get on grade and level faster and better than with a rake. Not that I am a "good man" but I do find that I am better with the shovel than with a rake. At this very moment, I can tell you exactly where my pointed shovel is. I'm not sure where the rake is ...
I am familiar with septic systems, too, but I haven't told my plumber that ...
Excavating -- first on the job site, last off.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Another of the fun jobs is that John will be doing srom inside woodworking ... making some furniture and shelving.
Last edited by Peggy M; 07/30/202612:40 PM.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Oh he sure is!! He's been making various things around here. A music stand. Several bookcases. A small table with two drawers, one on each side, a little stand with two shelves that fits perfectly next to the night stand. Some picture frames. Two wall shelves for the wall in an interesting design. A combo shoe rack and l shaped bookcase that fits under a window at the kitchen table. He did a few things for church. Is making a knife holder for one on the contractors. Once that woodshop is done. I'll be lot easier to do stuff. Plus all this time he's be getting logs to our friend who's got a small sawmill. AND he's been working in a super cramped space and for awhile, with equipment that was only ok.
He made up a logo for our farm and now is able to burn it on the product.
He's having a grand time.
Last edited by Peggy M; 07/30/202611:12 PM.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Its been awhile ... Here's a few shots I took around the project yesterday. The biggest accomplishments since last update include getting power hooked up, Flooring in, the kitchen cabinets and countertop and the landscaping/final grading nearly done. I don't have all the backfill right around the foundation done (waiting on HVAC and the septic pump to get wired), but I went ahead with final grading so I could get the grass established before the rains came back. Any damage I do to the lawn when I finally get to do the backfill around the foundation will be simple enough to fix. Watching all my topsoil wash into the pond .... not so much ...
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Wow, looks great.👍 What type of lights are in the shop, LED fluorescent, old school or something different. Looks nice and bright.
John
John -- Thanks! Shop lighting is 7,000 lumen LEDs. 6 of them. I finally have a shop with adequate lighting!
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Thanks for the comments all. John -- I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about the floor. I would like to do an epoxy sealer. I did that one time time before and liked the result. I'm open to other ideas, though.
Ponch ... Peggy and I find it peaceful. Directly across from our mailbox on the road is the sign that tells traffic about the steep 3-mile downgrade off the mountain. We have a lot of log trucks and other 18-wheelers hitting their jakes next to our house. As a retired 18-wheeler myself, I find it to be music. So does Peggy. But to visitors ... it may be similar to living next to railroad tracks
We're also about a quarter mile from the from State-owned firing range. So during day light hours, you also get the "music of the guns." As a Marine, I also find this to be music ... and I am quite drawn to it. But lately, I also find myself critiquing the shooting. I hear a lot of shooters blowing a lot of rounds. Even a fair amount of automatic fire ... mostly M-16's etc. I have yet to hear Ma Deuce's sweet voice, though. When I am at the range, I do a lot of slow fire to dial in my dope. A lot of these rednecks just seem to be popping caps.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
My neighbor half a mile down the road has a 600 yard private shooting range- - - - -and a water cooled .30 BMG to play with. He and two of his buddies with the same guns make our little dead end hollow sound like a war zone occasionally! When pumpkins go on sale for pennies on the dollar a few days after Halloween, they buy up a couple of pickup loads of them and blaze away! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!