We decided to add a detached 24x24 2-bay garage here at HQ with a 1-BR apartment above for visitors (we have no 2nd bedroom at HQ ... )

Thanks to what I learned working for Pat Guy (Guy Excavating), I am doing the dirt work -- basic lot prep of removing a few trees, then grading and prepping for the footers. Then, filling and spreading the gravel for the slab. After, I will take care of backfilling, final grading, seeding, etc.

To date, the footers are in and block foundation is built. Today, we've almost finished graveling the hole getting ready for the slab pour. Here are some pics.

The tree was a Hickory, not a hockory. Don't make fun -- *you* try typing with these fingers.
Attachments
20260312_105303.jpg (689.93 KB, 335 downloads)
The site prior to ground breaking. The cedar, big hockory and the cherry in the center have to go.
20260312_114659.jpg (668.86 KB, 335 downloads)
A little bit of work with the track loader and the trees are down.
20260323_075545.jpg (565.35 KB, 332 downloads)
Trees cleared, stumps removed and debris cleared. My job is done for now.
20260323_132953.jpg (600.67 KB, 331 downloads)
Footers dug, now the concrete guys are pouring the footers.
20260401_121648.jpg (521.05 KB, 333 downloads)
Block foundation. The masons did this in 4 hours.
20260403_104631.jpg (613.64 KB, 331 downloads)
Foundation cured and ready to fill, so the first 20 yds of gravel arrived Friday at 0730. My turn to work again. This could be a long day ...
20260403_125719.jpg (704.76 KB, 332 downloads)
Used a bunch of broken up concrete I had to save on gravel.
20260406_122339.jpg (636.43 KB, 336 downloads)
End of the day today (Monday, 6 April 2026). 40 yards of 67 gravel. Still need a little more to finish.
20260406_170350.jpg (644.31 KB, 333 downloads)
After I ran out of gravel, I started backfilling the outside of the foundation.
guesthouse1.jpg (189.17 KB, 335 downloads)
The finished structure will look something like this, but with the deck facing the pond and the garage doors (it will have two, not one big one) facing the driveway.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)