Thought I had posted this finding already, but guess not. Found this 55/62 oil an for almost pennies on our local Craigslist. Just needed a little rust removal and a new paint job. Not that I need one for my truck, just couldn't say no. If I don't end up using it, gonna put it up for sale here with all proceeds going to the BOLT.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Leo - There isn't one stamped anywhere on these oil pans. The way to confirm what it is must done through the shape of the pan side mounting flanges, the mounting bolt count, the drain location and the baffle location/orientation in the bottom of the pan.
Many different threads on pan identification already exist that discuss the difference, but I couldn't find a single thread that covers all the identification points in one place. I think I seem to recall that the side flanges with the bump out on the passenger side is a feature for the 1955-62 pans (1954 and earlier 235's and 261's had straight rails and a different mounting bolt pattern/count), while the horizontal baffle was related to 1955-57 235 and 261 pans. The later 1958-62 pans had a vertical baffle due to a different style oil pickup if memory serves me correctly.
Other will probably chime in with added info. Or maybe someone remembers a better thread that discusses the subject???
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)