The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I’m working on a deal to buy a 66 C10 long wide bed project truck. I owned one from 78-81, and should have kept it. My question is, does any vendor sell lowering blocks/ pads/ plates to go between the axle and the trailing arms? Or, how does a person lower the rear of the truck? Thx!

Last edited by Gdads51; 02/20/2026 3:07 PM. Reason: add detail to title

Professional Novice
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
The simplest way to get a lower ride height would be to install shorter, stiffer springs. Round track racing supply places like JEGS or Racer's Wholesale would be a good place to look. You might also need to find a different stroke shock absorber to avoid bottoming out on bumps. A lowering block between the trailing arm and the rear axle housing will probably end up with the trailing arm dragging on speed bumps, etc. The ride quality will be somewhere between annoying and terrible because of the lack of weight in the bed.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
If I want to lower one of my rigs I just add a load.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Lots of sellers offering 3, 4 and 5" lowering springs and/or kits for your truck as mentioned by Jerry above. Some include shocks designed to match the new spring height.

Try a web search with the terms "rear axle lowering springs for 1966 Chevy C10". Lots of clicking and reading till you find/settle on what you want. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks all.


Professional Novice
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
This is the truck for sale by a fellow Stovebolter.
The seller and I have been trying to get together since January, but we both have had delays. Hopefully soon… 😎
Attachments
IMG_7441.jpeg (54 KB, 68 downloads)


Professional Novice
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 381
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 381
For my 66 C10 short stepside I purchased 2 “ shorter springs, which actually lowered truck one inch as measured at the rear wheel. There was no need for shorter shocks. Overall, it seems to have improved both the looks & ride lmo.


1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Got it home!! The fun begins. 😎
Attachments
IMG_7554.jpeg (574.15 KB, 43 downloads)


Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Great that you got it home Frank! thumbs_up Looking forward to your further conversations on the truck. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks for all responses! I’m sure it will be a long term project. I’m going to try and get the 250-6 running if I can without spending too much money.
I think I want to add a vintage camper top.


Professional Novice
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I’m making some progress on my 66 C10. The seller owned the truck since 1990 and used it for his daily until 2000. It had been sitting since. I found out it originally had a 283. Sometime in the past a 69 250 was swapped in. The engine was partially disassembled when I got it with the head just sitting on the block. One of the exhaust valves was badly burned so I bought one new valve. I hand lapped all the valves and seats and reassembled the head. I now have the head back on the block with a new gasket… more work required but I hope to have this engine running soon.
Of course, everything else needs to be inspected, repaired or replaced as necessary to make it drivable.
One picture in my small garage and the other what I wish it looked like.
Attachments
IMG_7593.jpeg (286.2 KB, 57 downloads)
6e05b2bba638afa6cac3e82184b7f549.jpeg (53.46 KB, 55 downloads)


Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,925
Frank - That's an admirable goal for bringing your '66 back to life! thumbs_up Glad to hear your making progress and continuing the work.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Kinda too bad it lost the 283 at some point. Most people go the other way around regarding I6 to V8, but I guess it'll get better mileage. I'm actually inheriting a '66 that IIRC originally had a 261 or maybe 292, but it developed problems and was switched out for the 250 it now has. We'll see how it goes when I get back east again and can work on it some more.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I have put any lowering or changing the stance on the back burner. Too many other things needed first.

I got the 250 running yesterday. It was a little struggle, but very satisfying to see it fire off. I posted a short video in the Engine Shop forum. 😎
Of course, plenty more to do to get it roadworthy. I appreciate any helpful advice.

Last edited by Frank50; 06/11/2026 1:45 PM.

Professional Novice

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0