I just removed the vent glass to put the vent latch on. I’ve managed to hold on to this part for many years thinking I could just put it in😳. Now I realize that my new latch does not have the pin with it. I guess I have to buy the entire part again with the pin??
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
You should be able to find a pin at a hardware store, or maybe adapt a nail. It's nothing special. But if you don't want to go that way, I'm pretty sure I have a pin from an original vent latch. PM me your address and I can mail it to you.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
The originals had a knurled section at the end, so that kept them in place. An easy fit till the last 1/16" or so then tight. I dropped one in the mail to him, but didn't take a picture of it. A roll pin would work just as well. I believe that's what suppliers furnish with replacement latches.
Last edited by klhansen; 02/20/20261:30 AM. Reason: added more info
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
My son is building a semi automatic rifle much like the M16. I helped him get a pin out of the carry section. He never got it in completely with a press. He bought another pin & with much effort we got it in fully. I didn’t remove the entire vent from the door so hopefully I can get the pin in. By the way, I don’t have a rubber seal for the actual glass. I plan the use rubber gasket maker. I didn’t bend the frame so it should be a tight fit. Does that sound doable?thank you Hansen!
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
Glenn, Fixing the seal on the vent windows really should be done by completely rebuilding. Replacing the seal around the frame requires complete disassembly. But sealing around the glass with gasket maker or windshield sealant should work. The glass seal is a tape stuff Link but requires removing the glass from the frame. Here's a couple excellent how-to videos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6o2KEETyxY&t=144s www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEZFaa_ivY&t=128s
You should have no trouble installing the latch and pin with the vent window in place.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Glenn, Fixing the seal on the vent windows really should be done by completely rebuilding. Replacing the seal around the frame requires complete disassembly. But sealing around the glass with gasket maker or windshield sealant should work. The glass seal is a tape stuff Link but requires removing the glass from the frame. Here's a couple excellent how-to videos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6o2KEETyxY&t=144s www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEZFaa_ivY&t=128s
You should have no trouble installing the latch and pin with the vent window in place.
I have watched those videos!
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
I'm an idiot! I thought he was talking about the pin that holds the latch on. But he's actually missing the shaft that the latch goes on. I think he'll need a complete glass frame, as that's either welded or crimped on to the frame.
Here's his pic with the missing shaft highlighted. Maybe someone else (who is smarter than me ) can help him out and send him a replacement passenger side vent glass frame. Nothing available in the aftermarket that I know of.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Kevin - Don't beat yourself up. I didn't see that either - duh!
I actually have an extra entire vent window assembly, but can't recall off the top of my head if it's the passenger or drivers side.
I'll have to check tomorrow and will report back. If I don't have the right one, Glenn can certainly post an ad in the Truck Parts Wanted forum to see what folks may be able to do to help him out.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I had an extra pair of vent window assemblies, but tossed the ones that were too rusty to use. If I'd held on to them, I could salvaged that shaft.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
@Guitplayer, Glenn doesn't need the pin that holds the locking lever on the shaft, but the shaft that the locking lever pivots on. I made that mistake initially.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.