The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Donf, Gdads51, cmayna, Otto Skorzeny, Forty9, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,307
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Another one I need help on.
Getting ready to replace the running boards (if I can find those special screws) I think as it sets is how it would fit under the cab? Screws face up & I have to drill wholes through the rubber? Have to trim the rubber end?
Thanks so much!
Attachments
IMG_5211.jpeg (290.65 KB, 71 downloads)
IMG_5212.jpeg (204.19 KB, 70 downloads)
IMG_5213.jpeg (187.77 KB, 70 downloads)


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
If you use self drilling screws, you can just drill thru the rubber and the rocker. Unless you want to go uber-original and use clutch head screws. I believe the rubber will need to be trimmed a bit. I don't remember if I did that when I put mine on. Yes, the leg facing down goes toward the outside. The metal strip goes underneath of course.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
I figured it out. The rubber needs to be sandwiched between the rail & the (I can’t think of the name) side rail.


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
I told you wrong on the vertical leg. I just checked on mine and I have the metal strip on top of the rubber with the vertical leg inboard of the running board. The rubber just touches the inner edge of the running board and extends below it. The screws go up thru the rocker (side rail), then the rubber, and then the metal strip on top, which should have sort of threads formed in the holes. You won't need self drilling screws.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
Originally Posted by klhansen
You won't need self drilling screws.
He will if he replaced the rocker panel which I believe he did.

Last edited by Phak1; 02/20/2026 12:59 AM. Reason: Typo

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
I replaced rockers and they already had the holes in them. The screws just slip thru the holes in the rockers.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
Good to know for future members. None of the replacement panels I bought had the screw holes, so I assumed the rockers would follow.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
It’s funny how getting this one task completed makes me feel. The very front screw was difficult because of the running board mount being in the way. I used a small Phillips driver with both ends bent 90 degrees. Then had to turn it small turns, it was getting dark & my light had burned out.
Got the new seal on the lower door driver side.
Attachments
IMG_5219.jpeg (169.36 KB, 34 downloads)
IMG_5221.jpeg (140.61 KB, 32 downloads)


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0