Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Hanks custodian),
153
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,679 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2021 Posts: 105 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2021 Posts: 105 | I posted a request for a flywheel for a GMC 270 in the parts wanted section. However, I have found over many years that they are hard to find.
Has anyone found a flywheel for another engine that will work for a GMC 270?
Thanks!
1950 GMC 100 Panel Truck, 1958 270, 3-spd Saginaw with BW OD, 3.73 12 Bolt Differential from a 1966 C10, Front Disc Brakes Hill Holder Bought it in pieces 9-1976, driving since 6-1978 Follow in the DITY | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 | Since a 216/235/261 bellhousing will bolt onto a GMC engine, and the starters will interchange, it might be possible to redrilll a Chevy flywheel to fit the GMC crankshaft bolt pattern. Is your crankshaft the 4 bolt or 6 bolt type? I have both types of flywheel on hand (Chevy and GMC). I can make some comparison measurements if you like. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 118 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 118 | Please recheck your post, or pm me. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,478 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,478 | Robert's 270 is a late model which has a 6 bolt flywheel.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2021 Posts: 105 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2021 Posts: 105 | My truck had a 235 in it when I bought it in 1976. I found and installed the 270 around 1979. I could not find a flywheel then, so I had the 6 bolt pattern machined into the 4 bolt 235's flywheel. My flywheel is still installed, so I am not 100% confident of my measurement of the bolt circle diameter, but I believe it to be 4-1/16". It is a 168 tooth ring gear.
1950 GMC 100 Panel Truck, 1958 270, 3-spd Saginaw with BW OD, 3.73 12 Bolt Differential from a 1966 C10, Front Disc Brakes Hill Holder Bought it in pieces 9-1976, driving since 6-1978 Follow in the DITY | | |
| |