The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, 50Chevy3100, dt235sd, Peggy M), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
Got my pinion problems resolved. I am now assembled and set to check backlash. 3:55 R&P conversion. Two info sources, shop manual and devestechnet, put lash at .005-.007. The printed directions with the gear set, Chev's of the 40's, have lash between .008-.012. Significantly different. Anyone have experience with the Chev's gear set, or an opinion as to why there is this variance? Also, what did you set your replacement gears at?

TIA


"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
I think it depends on how many shims were in there to start with ,if I remember the older ones had one shim and the newer tubes had two but I cannot remember the thickness of the shims they used.
Attachments
IMG_4056.jpeg (293.6 KB, 89 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Kevinski, According to your attachment, the earlier tubes used two shims. But the number of shims doesn't really have an impact on backlash. Given the 3.55 gear set is different from factory, the factory backlash wouldn't be the one to chose, but .008 isn't that much different than .007. I think I'd shoot for the low side of the spec that Chev's of the 40's instructions call for.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
When I setup my 3.55 gears I ended up at .008". I hope to be driving it this Spring to see if everything works correctly.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
Thanks. I ended up about .0085 +/- a little. This was my first fit so the prop shaft is not installed. It made it a little difficult to lock down the pinion gear, but it's within tolerance. The wear pattern looked good so I am off to install the prop shaft and hopefully a full differential. Once that's all in I will do a final lash check as I can lock the pinion by temporarily installing the trans yoke and holding on to it.

A side note, I had not noticed some of the info in the printed directions that came with the gear set. The directions that Chev's of the 40's provides with their gear set are the directions from Patrick's.

Last edited by bigedpa; 02/10/2026 12:07 AM.

"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
My gear set and instructions came from Patrick's, but I also used the Tech Tips in this forum and Deve's as a resource.

Last edited by UtahYork; 02/10/2026 4:01 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
If you're dealing with used gears, using the factory specs for setting up new gears is a crapshoot. You're likely to get a gear whine unless you happen to hit the exact backlash the gears have been running previously. They establish a wear pattern over decades of use, and trying to use the original specs seldom, if ever gets them back into the previous alignment they're used to running. I always try to do a tooth contact pattern with white lead or Prussian Blue before disassembling a used gearset, photograph the pattern, and try to duplicate it on reassembly. Original specs will get you into the ballpark on used gears, but they're a long way from hitting a home run at times. A couple of thousandths of backlash difference on new gears probably won't cause any problems.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0