The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1596879 01/31/2026 5:04 PM
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
I was watching youtube (LGKustoms) and saw a guy drop a 30s front axle by placing the axle in a jig heating the end with a torch and stretching the axle with a bottle jack thus dropping the axle. Once done the axle was left in the jig till it was cooled.

My question is, does this affect the integrity if the metal and would it be a viable option on a straight axle truck?

Lots of options on dropping a truck, this one just puqied my curiosity.


Rock49 aka C-Rodg
work in progress
1956 Chevy 3100
261 engine
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
By the you factor in the time and money you spend building a sufficiently accurate (and rigid) jig to drop the axle, you will have spent a lot more than you would pay someone who knows what he's doing to do the work for you. If you're planning to go into business doing it, and you have a customer base big enough to justify the investment, you'll probably break even about the 10th. axle you drop. That probably doesn't count how many axles you'll ruin during the learning curve.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
IMO, heating the axle won't affect it significantly. After all, it was once red hot when it was forged. To be totally sure, the entire axle should be heated cooled evenly. But you probably don't have the facilities to heat the whole thing to the same temperature. The problem with heating the machined ends (kingpin holes) is that it will then need to be re-machined. I would be more concerned about the welding he did on the top flange near the spring perches, which would tend to shrink there and pull the axle out of alignment at the spring perches. Also the track on the axle he dropped was narrowed a fair amount. If you look at the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGcG1oojZGU at about 19:40 you can see the axle shortening as he bends the second end.

I have to agree with Jerry on the cost of the setup to drop an axle. Just not worth it for a DIY on one axle.

Last edited by klhansen; 01/31/2026 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling fixup

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
I agree, its all beyond my current skill set for working with metal. So no way I would do a one off DIY. When I saw the video it piqued my curiosity, so I had to ask those with knowledge. Thanks for the pointers on the video, I will go back and watch with a better understanding of what im seeing.


Rock49 aka C-Rodg
work in progress
1956 Chevy 3100
261 engine
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
I see that nostalgia Sid’s has a class were you learn to drop your own axle. If I thought I was leaning more towards this lowering option, I would definitely do the class. https://facebook.com/events/s/i-beam-drop-axle-class/2346317455873564/

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
Originally Posted by rick46ia
I see that nostalgia Sid’s has a class were you learn to drop your own axle. If I thought I was leaning more towards this lowering option, I would definitely do the class. https://facebook.com/events/s/i-beam-drop-axle-class/2346317455873564/
Sounds like a really cool class and it would be fun to learn the skill but not really cost effective. $450 for the class and you need to get your axle there. That's fine if you are local but travel expenses will add up fast. I bought this from Pete and Jakes through Superbell. It's 4" drop, custom width, roller king pin bearings and designed to leave the ground and safely return to earth. It's a full custom one off and it was only $1000.
Attachments
axles 4.jpg (351.22 KB, 90 downloads)
anodized parts 11.jpg (323.36 KB, 89 downloads)


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
Man, I can't wait to see your truck when it's finished, Mick. I'm not even a hotrod / custom guy. I like everything stock, but the work you're doing on your truck is amazing.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
I think the cost of the class doing your own is $450. Or $400 for an exchange one. Or $600 outright. If something interests you enough to be a part of the process, the extra expense may not be a big issue. I would drive the 500 miles to do it if I decide to drop mine.

Last edited by rick46ia; 02/02/2026 4:22 AM. Reason: Price correctionI
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
.... and you can say you did it yourself.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
I’ve talked to Sid numerous times. He’s a really good guy! He also put a 4” drop in my axle. If you are leaning that direction, I’d highly recommend letting him do the work for you so you know it’s done correctly.

Chris

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
Sid has been around HotRodding for quite some time. His quality is excellent and like Chris said he's a great guy to talk to.

He has accumulated a wealth of knowledge on straight axles, steering components and geometry. He tried to talk me out of a 4" dropped axle for my '59, I should have listened. 4 inches looks COOL but 3 inches is much more drivable.

Last edited by TUTS 59; 02/04/2026 1:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Tut, I did 4” also on 51. It’s too much with 15” rims! Ops! Too late now! I do like the look of 4” though (no comments needed).

Chris

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Chris, I have a 3" Sid's axle under mine for that reason- I don't plan to go bigger than the 15's that are on it. Love the look as well.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
At some point I may swap to 16" or 17" wheels, much later though.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
I went with 4' drop on my 53 3100 but I need to run at least a 17" wheel to clear my rotors.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0