So, my old steering gear box has play in the pitman shaft. Makes the steering feel like it is binding a little. It's got Armstrong steering for sure right now. I have a new bushing for it and hope in the next couple of weeks to pull the gearbox out and take it apart. !958 Chevy 3100
I've seen tech tips here before on setting up the adjustments when I put it back together. But having trouble finding them now.
Any idea where to look? Thanks
And if this is the wrong forum for this, let me know or move it where it needs to be.
Last edited by Roy Rodgers; 01/13/202611:36 PM. Reason: add year model and make
I have a 62 page "slide show" training document from Chevrolet showing how to overhaul truck steering boxes. It is dated 1952, but I'm pretty sure the procedures would apply to your '58 box. I've attached a few pages. Each page is a separate .JPG file. Average size of a page is around 140 KBytes.
I could email 5 or 10 at a time to anyone interested, either for their own use and/or to publish on this forum.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Here’s a link to what I think us the same entire booklet Chevrolet MTS 52-20.
Posting from my phone, so stubby fingers are involved.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.