I have two air cleaners for my 54 Canadian gmc and both had no wing nuts on top .I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a special top nut .The pin that comes up for the top to go through has a point on both so they don’t look like they were messed with .The reason I ask this is because there doesn’t seem to be enough to screw a wing nut on as the pin only sticks out about a quarter of a inch .I was thinking of drilling a hole in a 5/16 bolt and threading it so they have more threads to hold down the top.
My air cleaner has a little knurled nut on it that has a little more reach than a wing nut. It has a narrow part that goes in the hole. Not sure if it's stock, though. It was like that when I got it.
You might replace the threaded rod with a slightly longer one.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
How about getting a longer piece of threaded rod to replace the short rod ? Kinda like if one wanted to replace their air filter with a thicker one. Odds are they would need a longer center rod.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Here you go. LINK They also have them with a solid top.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Could do that also but the rod is welded further down but I will take another look to see which is easier. There must have been a similar nut like Otto has on his .
My oil bath unit is original to the truck as far as I can tell, the threaded rod is slightly adjustable at the carburetor bracket and can be unscrewed to allow it to protrude from the top of the air cleaner, a normal wing nut is all that is required for mine.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
I'd suggest using a coupling nut, and grind about a 1/2" long shoulder on it to center the hole in the top. Maybe use a flat washer to spread the load out across a wider area. Then you could either weld/braze a couple of wings onto it, or just use a wrench to tighten it.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Cut your rod off short enough to clear the top after screwing on a coupler. Thread a bit further if you need to. Use a piece of threaded rod to extend the amount you need for your wing nut…
Larry Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY. If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.