| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,208 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 27 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 27 | This is on a '53 COE. The two speed axle shift rod mounts under the dash and then goes though fire wall. There is linkage attached to the rod that goes up to the speedometer reducer gear. It’s the same unit that came off the truck, not sure why the positioning is different. Can I turn the reducer unit on the speedometer so that the axle indicator (low/high) is in the correct position?
Last edited by Gdads51; 01/03/2026 1:40 PM. Reason: add detail to title
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | Hi Robert. If I understand your question, you want to turn/twist the reducer assembly so that you can connect the linkage rod? If so, the answer is yes. It doesn't matter what orientation the reducer is for it's function. It must be in a certain position, however, to connect with the shift rod and it's linkage. Kent
Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 01/02/2026 4:23 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 27 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2021 Posts: 27 | Thanks for your response. That’s a beauty of a truck you have there. I had success with the linkage this morning. I left the speedometer linkage unhooked and started with getting everything else adjusted till lever and rod length were correct. I did then turn reducer unit till it centered and worked well. Is there a stiffener arm or bracket to keep reducer unit from ‘wiggling around a bit even though I retightened clamp screw ? Thanks | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | The only thing holding the position of the reducer unit is the clamp screw. It has been 14 years since I restored the truck and not had a problem with that. Kent | | |
| |
| |