My 41 truck has 700-17 tires that are completely rotten, looking for a modern radial size to put on until I get it mostly restored, i don't want to sink a bunch of money into new period correct tires and have them sit for a handful of years while i work on it. Would I be looking at something like 235/85-17??
Thanks. QC
1946 GMC 1 Ton 1984 GMC 1/2 Ton 1996 Dodge 1/2 Ton 2014 Chevy 1/2 Ton 2020 Ram 1 Ton Cummins
The overall diameter of a 700-17 tire is 31.6" according to Coker. Checking on Tire Rack, the only 235/85R17 tire available there is a temporary spare, which you don't want to use. But LT235/80R17's are available with a diameter of 31.8". They're Load range E tires, which might ride a bit rough on a '41 truck. The other thing you might take a look at is the width of your rims. The LT235/80R17's usually mount on 6.5" wide rims.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Walmart has an Armstrong Tru Trac 235/80R17 light truck tire for $116 each. tread looks like a Michelin MS
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I'm using 235/85/16 on my 38. I had the 17 inch rims on it but my local tire stores wouldn't touch the 2 piece rims.
Last edited by Wayne67vert; 12/18/20259:43 PM.
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!