Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,695 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 | What is the best method for securing the wheel studs into the rear axle without having the peening tool they used back in the day that peened the entire circumference at once? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I'm not sure what you want to peen. The 476514 bolt was used for almost 35 years. You press them out and pull a new one in. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 | According to the shop manual they were to be peened after install. It looks like they had a tool for that. I was under the impression they just pulled in as well because when I look at the two axles neither look peened. Here is my issue - one of the studs is loose fitting so it doesn't stay in. I thought the peening process would take care of that. If I don't peen them, how do I get that loose fitting stud to stay? I did not buy new studs so maybe a new one would fit tighter?? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,904 | You might have to buy a new stud with slightly larger diameter shaft
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 | maybe a new one would fit tighter?? This. Automakers have quit peening in wheel studs years ago.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 | The peening process was called "swaging" and it was done with a special hollow punch for an air hammer. A new stud will probably have a slightly wider spline that can be pressed into the hub or axle flange and cut new splines as it's installed. DO NOT try to pull a new stud in with a lug nut- - - -you'll stretch the thread and weaken the stud. Either use a hydraulic press, a ball joint press, or an air hammer on the back side of the stud. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 | "DO NOT try to pull a new stud in with a lug nut" - Thank you for that statement Jerry. I don't have a press so I was actually thinking of snugging it with the lug nut and tapping it from the back to help seat it in a slow process. I will now device a "press" method with tools an/or equipment I do own. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 | If you have the axle shaft removed, use a big C clamp and a deep socket for the threaded part to push into. Tighten the clamp, and then hammer on the jackscrew. Keep tightening and hammering until the spline seats. That will keep the thread from getting stretched. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 | I had some studs from Barry Weekes auction but the knurled length was shorter. Barry had them labeled 40 half ton rear so I figured they would work, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to swage them properly so I started this thread. Finding no need to swage them, I did get a new one installed. Similar to the method Jerry mentioned, only I used a large vise to press it in place. The new stud with fresh knurling seems to have seated tightly in the same hole in the axle. Thanks everybody. As always, this group comes through and builds my confidence in what I am trying to accomplish. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 | Good show! I'm in the process of installing new, longer wheel studs on one of my trailers so I can space the wheel track width out about 3" wider. I'm also going up one size on the stud thread from 1/2" to 14MM. I did the conversion of the first hub with an anvil, a punch, and a BFH, but the next three will be done in a press. Too much work the other way! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |