The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Patina 54), 75 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159311 04/25/2007 7:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
All,
I just tagged this on the end of orchidskip's post (Miller 180) and thought I'd do better starting a new one since it's a little off his topic.

Would you recommend the Miller 180 for frame fab?

I know it'll do a good job on body panels and the like, but could I effectively weld up an IFS cross member without any issues? Also, I'm planning on installing a 4-link rear suspension.

thanks in advance
Jim


57' Chevy 3100 Stepside
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630531
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Heavy-Chevy,

I took a look at the dope sheet for the Miller 180 and it says 5/16" for a single pass. This doesn't mean all you can weld is 5/`16" material, it just means you will have to weld it using multiple passes...very common.

If your wallet can handle it, you should try the Dual-Shield in .035 with mixed gas. You will really be amazed at how nice the welds on your frame components will look. They call this a all position wire, but I wouldn't run it any way but down hand.

If you can move your 4-link pieces around, and the frame or its components can be positioned down hand, your welds will be strong and look like they were factory made.

Stuart

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
Stuart,
Thanks for the reply.

When you say, "Dual-Shield in .035", are you saying shielded gas and flux core?

I've not heard of this term before. Forgive my ignorance :confused:


57' Chevy 3100 Stepside
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630531
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Yes...although the idea behind flux core wire is to operate without the added shielding gas, the use of the gas makes a weld that looks like it was poured in with a gravy ladle. I think you would have to buy a full spool, and I don't know if the little 180 will hold this, so the idea might be bogus.

I just built some rear spring hangers for my sons Toyota this weekend, and used this process. I have used the wire quite a bit so I knew what I was going to get, but when my son saw the finished product, he was grinning from ear to ear.

Hunt up a friend who has used this wire, or buzz by your local welding supply house and bend their ear. If you can do it without spending a fortune, it make your frame modifications not only strong, but attractive.

Stuart

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
Stuart,
I can't thank you enough for the info. I'm currently in a welding class (about 3/4 way through) and haven’t heard about this technique at all. I like the idea, and I'll ask about it in tomorrow’s class.

I just checked there site and found this . .

-----------------------------------------------
Comes Complete With
. . .
Two contact tips for .024 in (0.6 mm) wire and two contact tips for .030 in (0.8 mm) wire
Dual groove quick-change drive roll for .024 in (0.6 mm) or .030/.035 in (0.8/0.9 mm) wire
-----------------------------------------------

Does the "or .030/.035" mean it can handle up to .035 wire??? It sounds like it might.

Jim


57' Chevy 3100 Stepside
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630531
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Heavy-Chevy,

You are right on the rolls. Normally, flux core wire is fed with smooth rolls with light pressure so it doesn't crush the wire, which is tubular and filled with flux. Your instructor must know about flux core arc welding or FCAW...this is the process. It can use gas, or not! Ask him for a demo!

Stuart

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
Will do . . .
. . . Thanks again Stuart.


57' Chevy 3100 Stepside
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630531
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
that is a cool idea, i have never tried flux cored w/ gas before. i am going to give it a try too.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
Whats wrong with just using 035 wire with gas should do just as well. I have a welder that will run up to 250 amps and 045 wire, but mostly use 035. If you can turn frame so as to weld flat should get good looking welds and not as expensive.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
Stuart,
You were right on with using flux core and shielded gas. Not that I ever doubted you :-)

I went to my class last night and the instructor seemed a little baffled at my question.

"Of course you can", he said. I also asked about the quality of the weld and if it was as good or better. He said it’d be as strong and look smoother. Everything you said in your post. I just wouldn't have ever thought to do it that way.

Thanks again
Jim


57' Chevy 3100 Stepside
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630531
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Heavy-Chevy,

Good news...I'm not quite ready for the old folks home. Let me just add that my MIG welder is usually loaded with sold wire which I use 99.5% of the time. There are no slag considerations, so if you have basic welding skills you can make a quality weld. The flux core drill is for effect. You need a little more skill to produce a clean, strong and attractive weld, but if done properly, the finished product looks very professional.

If this is your first welding machine and you're a novice, stick with solid wire and mixed gas until you have some experience under your belt..you can't go wrong with this combination. Good luck. smile


Stuart


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0