The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Jay R, 52Carl, Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, 78buckshot), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1591782 11/11/2025 8:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
Does anyone know if I'd have any issues with sway bars on a bagged truck?

I've taken the truck down to the frame rails, added an 8 inch notch in the rear, added 5" blocks on top of the trailing arms, cupped the lower control arms, and added a watts link.
I've been doing some research and it seems like it will work in the front as long as you verify the links don't hit the bags. The rear doesn't seem to be as clear as I've come across 2 different styles. One style has the bar on top of the frame (No Limit Engineering) and the other style has the bar on the bottom of the trailing arms.

Any input/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kruuuzn; 11/11/2025 9:23 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
"Sway" (actually "anti-roll" bars) probably won't be needed on a truck that's been modified that extensively. The handling will be so terrible that it won't be possible to drive at any speed where an antiroll bar will be necessary.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I have not installed an anti-roll bar/sway bar on a bagged truck. However, it sounds like you have done some research. I wrote up this DIY when I did my C10. I list the parts recommended for a lowered truck. I have no idea if the bar will bind if you air out the bags. Here’s the DIY I wrote. LINK HERE

Last edited by Lugnutz; 11/12/2025 1:12 PM.
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
"Sway" (actually "anti-roll" bars) probably won't be needed on a truck that's been modified that extensively. The handling will be so terrible that it won't be possible to drive at any speed where an antiroll bar will be necessary.
Jerry

Wow.
Does your condescension come naturally or do you need to work at it?

Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
I have not installed an anti-roll bar/sway bar on a bagged truck. However, it sounds like you have done some research. I wrote up this DIY when I did my C10. I list the parts recommended for a lowered truck. I have no idea if the bar will bind if you air out the bags. Here’s the DIY I wrote. LINK HERE

Thanks bud.
I appreciate your input.

Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 383
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 383
I have no knowledge or experience regards the front application. I did install the under the trailing arm sway bar on my standard height 66 short ss c10 (with stock trailing arms) Don’t know if it helped handling as I never drove it without the sway bar. Should work fine for you as the ground clearance is mostly set by the rear axle distance from the ground not the chassis. I installed mine thinking it might help and couldn’t hurt the overall handling


1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
Why would a bagged truck automatically handle bad? If you left the stock height knuckles intact and then ran it lowered, that would negatively effect handling. However most savvy modders are using dropped spindles which preserve the factory suspension geometry, other than putting the axle centerline higher up on the knuckle. The idea being that factory suspension travel and angles are preserved.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Tronman
Why would a bagged truck automatically handle bad?

I don't understand that either.

Either way I moved ahead with this. I just finished installing a rack & pinion AND a sway bar. I'm now researching rear sway bars. I'm surprised at the different designs. This is just going to be a fun truck and I want it to handle like a go kart! LOL
Attachments
IMG_4802.jpg (361.75 KB, 36 downloads)

Last edited by kruuuzn; 11/22/2025 3:47 PM.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
Wow that looks pretty trick! What's the rack out of/made for? Are the tie rod lengths close enough to the originals so it won't bump steer? Just curious, no shade meant. Looks like it will handle pretty tight, to me.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 72
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 72
Yea WOW
I don't know much about a lowered truck, but I think that looks really good.


1965 c-10 4 wheel drive conversion
Pix in the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 8
Thanks guys.
The rack is packaged as a kit specifically to fit the C10. I was told it started life as a Silverado. Very quality. It went together well.
I haven't read anything about bump steer.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0