I'm not too excited to start the wiring process and feel a little bit intimidated, but I know it won't get done if I don't do anything. I'm going to start slow, but not sure where to start. So, I've found my ignition switch and I'm wondering what is what? I know the wire in the flexible tube goes to the coil. (My old setup had the coil upside down.) Looking at the the pictures of the ignition switch, does anyone know which terminal is for what function? Or, should I just connect battery power to one side and see if power goes to the other side and coil wire as I turn the key on? Any help is much appreciated.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Do you have a shop manual? The AD manual has a picture of the switch and tells what each terminal is for.
The (+) side of the coil goes to the ignition switch. The (-) side goes to the breaker points.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I do have a shop manual, but I did not see any illustrations for the ignition switch wiring. I did see some diagrams of the AD switch, but it's not the same as mine. I'll double check my manual again.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
I don't know if this will help much, but here's a wiring diagram for 42-47 trucks from HERE. It doesn't show the terminals on the ignition switch, but does show wire colors. There's a polarity reversing switch between the coil and the distributor, that I don't know how it operates or the purpose, but do recall some talk about it here on Stovebolt
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Kevin - I have the wiring diagram for my truck. Thanks.
Otto - I was looking for information on the ignition switch/key switch, but I'll save those pictures for my light switch install. Thanks.
Tomorrow morning I will test the key switch to see which terminal gets power from the battery. Right now I'm assuming it's the terminal with one wire. I'll update this thread with my findings.
Last edited by UtahYork; 11/14/202511:27 PM.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Oh ya. I got it conflated in my brain with another post about headlights.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)