The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
Am I missing something here?

I need to replace the master cylinder, it bolted to the frame rail, I've crawled around trying to find the 2 nuts to remove the cylinder but cant see any access to the outside of the rail without removing the fender and inner fender to find the nuts.
Am I missing something?
Attachments
730452683.jpg (117.23 KB, 85 downloads)

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Turtleman, I will have to check my 46 C.O.E. to be sure, but most of the master cylinders from that era have a heavy strap that the retaining bolts screw into, not individual nuts. It's a bit tricky to get things aligned when putting things back together, but a lot easier than with individual nuts.

Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
Thank You for the reply;
I cant see any strap, once under the truck all I can see is the inner fender. The cylinder has 2 post that are directed at a 90 going out into the frame, where I have no access to the opposite side of the frame, seems to be the same on my other 46 (I have Two of them)

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
Hey Turtleman: When I changed mine the fenders were off, but I just looked under there and I could see one of the nuts. If I remember right there 2 studs with nuts. You will have to get around that inner fender one way or another. This is one of the reasons there aren't very many COE's left, there so much fun to work on! I've been into the valve train on mine countless times!! Can't just lift the hood.

Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
Thank You Folks,

Looks like I'll get yet another lesson in patients. Once this is finished it goes back on the road for work

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
That's cool you're using it as a work truck! What kind of work is it doing?


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 14
I'll use it to haul supplies and materials to my nursery, I just need it to be safe, and it is. This truck has "Everything" on it that came from the factory, it's been stored in a climate controlled barn for the last 70 years, it didn't have much use on it, even has the original paper headliner. The only thing I see it the braking system and a power steering update, but that's not really necessary

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
So true! If the truck could be steered manually in the 1940's, it can be now! I try to keep mine as original as possible. Man, that truck looks straight as an arrow, the chrome is still on the cab handles! you can tell it was stored inside.

Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 10/28/2025 5:44 PM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0