| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,354 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 48 | Hello Bolters,
I have a rebuilt 700R4 Tranny from one of the performance suppliers which does not come with the slip yoke sleeve and o-ring for my 1946 Chevy p/u. It must be added if using a vented yoke. I have a slip yoke that is vented but to save a step and a few cents, I would like to seal the vent and make it nonvented. I am running the old leaf springs and it will be just a cruiser, so I don't plan to have a lot of suspension travel going down the road. I have already sized up my driveshaft with 1" of travel and 2 3/4 inches of spline engagement at rest. I see some nonvented yokes are counter bored to accept an oring but if I am correct this is just for fixed yokes. My question: Can I just seal up the vent hole and not worry about installing any type of oring on the output shaft or inside the tail housing? By the way, my yoke is Not counter bored.
Thanks, Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) | | Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 | I have just plugged the vent hole on two 4L60e transmissions that I put in with LS Swaps.
I have almost 60k miles on the one in my 84 with no noticeable ill effects.
I took the yoke out, plugged the vent with a dollop of RTV, let it dry overnight, and put it back in.
No leaks or anything. | | |
| |
| |