I purchased newer style tie rod ends and installed them a few years ago. The truck hasn't gone anywhere except in and out of the garage for various project work since them but both rod end seals split. The source for the replacement rod ends indicated that they think the GM 3687643 seal should work but I am not so sure.
I suspect the problem is cheap off shore rubber sourcing but if anyone has a good source for such parts I would appreciate a lead.
I`ve replaced 2 sets and both sets the rubber cracked. On mine, it seemed the tie rod sat further down in the steering arm(s) and split the rubber. If I had to do over again , I think I would trim the rubber seal. I`d recommend changing out those bolts on the tie rod. The threads won`t hold up and will strip.
Last edited by Guitplayer; 09/12/20251:43 PM.
~ BD. "You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker 1958 Apache Stepside 1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel 1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Yes, the ones on mine cracked also and one of them just about fell off. I found some old covers for some vehicle around here and used them...could have been a 1960s Pontiac or something else. Those seem okay.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
I had the ones supplied with the tie rod ends split almost immediately. I got replacements, which also split, but then ordered some from Energy Suspension. Their PN 9.13101. They cost about $9 for the pair and $9 shipping. They should last based on other ES products I've used.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
The rubber used in the seals now is not real rubber, seems like once grease hits them they fail pretty fast. If you ever go into a Harbor Freight store, you can smell the tires across the store, this is the same stuff. I have a couple old bikes I restored, the tires go flat all the time, the air just seeps out through the tubes, no holes, just everywhere. I'm not sure it should be called rubber anymore. I had a PCV valve grommet swell up twice its original size.
As Joe says the same also goes with Chinese copper. A friend of mine has designed, built and installed commercial HVAC systems and large custom freezers for over 30 years. He said with some of the Chinese made products you could see refrigerant leaking out as soon as you started using them. He said it was most commonly seen at bends and any joints but could be anywhere. There was a sealant product (developed in the USA) he used and for a while the problem was so bad he carried boxes of it with him all the time.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
My uncles 1911 Stanley Steamer used leather wrapped around the tie-rods, he still had a couple of the original ones. The grease kept the leather soft all these years.