1) I recently acquired some new outside mirrors and plan to mount them up. I don’t have any gaskets for mounting them, but figure it would be plenty easy to make my own.
What sort of material would be best? I always have some of the Fel-Pro cork and Fel-Pro fiber/rubber. Fair to assume that something more like actual rubber would be best?
2) Inside rear view mirror - at some point in the distant past, the PO of my truck relocated the rear view mirror to the dash….presumably because of pull chain that’s on the ceiling for the air horns. I find it to be nearly useless and annoying and would like to move it back up to the windshield. Vendors list a little bracket for that purpose but I’m not 100% where that bolts up.
JW51, I'll go take a picture of mine and send it to you.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
The inside mirror bracket uses one of the screws for the windshield divider. You can see it in this pic.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
If you don't have any rubber sheet, a nice rubbery truck mud flap could be made to work. Keep in mind the stock style are molded and have a lip to them.
Years ago there were some gaskets to avoid. They were molded with a lip that faced upward and they caught and harbored water. Not so bad if you lived out west where there was not much humidity but otherwise they'd make the base of your mirror rust. If you have any or if you have a plumber friend, shower pan liner is good to use. It is some of the toughest stuff you can find and is made from a PVC compound. You can use any common vinyl spray to make it black and a friend uses a permanent Marks-A-Lot to do this, also. If you run out of possibilities, let me know and I'll mail you a bit of it.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Was working against a deadline. I used the thicker of the Fel-Pro cork rubber 1/8?) on the driver side.
The provided Chinesium screws on the passenger side were too short to run a gasket. I will source some screws and figure that later. One of the screws also stripped….so that should be a treat to deal with.