The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1583864 07/30/2025 6:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Can anyone recommend a clearcoat that could be applied directly to sandblasted aluminum? I want to apply something to my T5 transmission. First thought would be just to clear coast it if possible. If not, are there good primer/paint products are out there that would stick to aluminum and be resistant to automotive chemicals?

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I used a product from POR15 that I believe isn't available anymore on some aluminum wheels. [on edit] I just remembered what it was - Glisten-PC. [/edit] It has stood up fairly well to that service, which is more harsh than on a transmission.

I would think a standard clear coat would work pretty well if it's sandblasted and cleaned.

Last edited by klhansen; 07/31/2025 12:46 AM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
I've called a few companies so far and they didn't know about applying directly to aluminum. One suggested etching with an acid first. Don't want to get into using acid. There has to be something out there. I'm not opposed to painting it. May go that route if I can't find a clear that I know for sure will work.

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
I had a guy at a car show tell me about a product that is supposed to keep aluminum clean, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone has heard of it.
He said it works well and his intake looked good.

http://www.nyalic.com/

Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Thanks, I'm going to look into that.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
It is up to you, but I wouldn't worry about the case of the T5 at all. Aluminum oxidizes very rapidly and this makes painting sort of challenging (because of the layer it forms). However the interesting thing is this oxidation actually protects the metal. What happens is when it is exposed to oxygen, a hard layer of aluminum oxide forms and over time it can continue getting thicker...which keeps it from oxidizing any further. Unlike rust it normally does not change the appearance of the aluminum. Usually the oxide is grayish.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
The time-honored primer coating for aluminum before painting is zinc chromate, the ugly green stuff. Recent horror stories by the tree huggers claim that if you get within 100 feet of a can of zinc chromate all your kids will be born naked! Like most of the rest of the stuff that really works, I believe it's been regulated out of existence.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The time-honored primer coating for aluminum before painting is zinc chromate, the ugly green stuff. Recent horror stories by the tree huggers claim that if you get within 100 feet of a can of zinc chromate all your kids will be born naked! Like most of the rest of the stuff that really works, I believe it's been regulated out of existence.
Jerry


Like creosote, and pressure treated lumber that actually lasted...

Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Jon, I'm quickly discovering it may not be worth the effort, so I might just do as you suggest and not bother.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by RBs36
I've called a few companies so far and they didn't know about applying directly to aluminum. One suggested etching with an acid first. Don't want to get into using acid. There has to be something out there. I'm not opposed to painting it. May go that route if I can't find a clear that I know for sure will work.
I wouldn't use an acid etch. If you've sandblasted it, then it's already etched, and would be a good substrate for about any type of paint.
BTW, I recalled what I used on the aluminum wheels - it was called Glisten-PC.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The time-honored primer coating for aluminum before painting is zinc chromate, the ugly green stuff. Jerry

B-52s were full of it.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
The challenge for getting anything to stick to a used aluminum transmission would be prep work.
The best way, maybe the only practical way would be to start with a completely stripped down case, degrease it, hot pressure wash it and spray it with self-etching primer. Then you can paint it with whatever paint of your choosing.
I use Rustoleum rattle can self-etching primer for aluminum parts.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I’ve used this stuff and have been happy with it. It is a semi-gloss. I sprayed the valve covers and blower 2+ years ago. They haven’t been through heat cycles but still look good. Even the stuff I have put through heat cycles, I’m happy with. It’ll darken the aluminum and almost makes it look like magnesium.
Attachments
IMG_1455.jpeg (258.02 KB, 61 downloads)
IMG_1456.jpeg (334.75 KB, 61 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
KBS Coatings has a direct to metal clear which I used on my polished aluminum gas tank but it has a gloss finish. If you spray it on from a distance, it might kill some of the gloss


'66 C60 body, '97 C6500 chassis, '07 LBZ Duramax with Allison 1000
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxwv1C6Ay2oxYH7u7
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by 66rollback
KBS Coatings has a direct to metal clear which I used on my polished aluminum gas tank but it has a gloss finish. If you spray it on from a distance, it might kill some of the gloss

If you look at the picture above, you'll see that it is a KBS product, which also comes in satin.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0