The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
Hello everyone. Well...I finally found some original bumper brackets that should fit my Chevy '71 stepside. Before I commit to the purchase, I figured I'd ask if I should just purchase these brackets new or go for the original steel? I know there have been some obvious improvements on steel metallurgy over the decades but I'm still partial to the old original stuff. Love to hear some opinions/thoughts on this.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,068
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,068
Just an FYI, but I bought aftermarket bumper brackets for my '51. They were so-so as far as appearance, and likely materials. Rather than having nice rounded edges like the originals, they were very sharp corners. A guy could take a grinder and round them off, but I suspect they aren't tempered spring steel like the originals.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by klhansen
Just an FYI, but I bought aftermarket bumper brackets for my '51. They were so-so as far as appearance, and likely materials. Rather than having nice rounded edges like the originals, they were very sharp corners. A guy could take a grinder and round them off, but I suspect they aren't tempered spring steel like the originals.

Great point. I’m gonna go take a look at the original bumper. Mostly likely buy it. Appreciate it


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0