The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
In case anyone didn't see it, I was woofing in a previous post about my drill press. I have been watching craig's list and ebay, but does anyone know of a source of good used tools? I watch garage sales, etc, local, even looked at Gov. Surplus sites. However, I don't need a 2000 lb powermatic! Would like to get a drill press that is at least 40 years old. Some that was made here and made to last like a stovebolt.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try some local pawn shops. Just do not pay their listed price. They will dicker with you.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
I hit the yard sales,tag sales and estate sales.Try to get a look in their garage,shed etc if you can.I have had people tell me "oh that thing,what does it do".It's a finakin pin remover lady and I'll give you $$.00 for it.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Good old equipment is hard to find. My last buy was equipment that had been stored at a Mini Storage for years. It was only the second time in 2 years that I'd seen any thing besides household goods. You might try a wanted ad on craigslist.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Thanks guys. I do hit the garage sales and everything else and have some of mooches out looking too. Oh well, it'll be like when I restored my 48 indian chief before the daze of the internet and ebay. The harder the hunt, the sweeter the reward. Talley-Ho!

A lot of the Dallas pawn shops now stink. They are part of the chain and they try to sell everything at list price even if its a clapped out piece of junque. A case in point, they wanted $30 for a USED harbor freight type cheapo chinese detail paint gun. I told them I could get it for $15 at Northern Tools which was less than 100 yds away. The guy there looked at me like I came from planet Neptune. Some of the remaining few indy shops are alright, but now getting very hard to find.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I bought mine at a farm estate auction. Go to a farm estate auction and get on their mailing list.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
you went to that american pawn off I-30 didn't you arnswine. ive been there a few times it sucks. but i relly like northern its a good choice. a little better than harbor freight, better selection.


it's not old it's "aged to perfection"
http://brent5631.myphotoalbum.com/
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Check out some of the local machine shops or tool and die shops sometimes they have old tooling they don't use anymore. There should be some used machinery dealers in your area that can help you out.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
There is a tool guy in Fort Worth on 121 inside of the 820 Loop. I think his place is called Brad Kay's Tools. He has a lot of used tools and shop stuff. The prices have been fair on things I have bought from him. I have known Brad since he was at Traders Village.
Hope it helps. Cheers Ed

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Thanks Ed. (and everyone else) I will check it out.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
And Brent, you are right. But a lot of the pawn shops are like that. For junque tools to modify try Miller's over on 1st st just north of Miller. I can always get what I need for a couple of bucks out of that shop.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
I haven't had much luck with pawn shops. I would like to find a mig welder for use around the shop. No luck. Let me know if you find anything.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
arnswine there is another place not far from where Ed Taylor told you to go. It is on Belknap between Beach and Riverside. It is on the south side of Belknap. Can't remember the name of the place but it is full of used tools.
Just another place to look. Hope it helps.
Tom


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0