The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
I’m attempting to replace the center rubber strip in the windshield division bar. Using a “Steele” rubber strip, I find that no amount of prying, sliding or pushing will install the strip. The Steele rubber strip appears to be an exact replica of the original. I suspect that the factory had a process to mold the strip to the bar. A process not available to me.

Am I missing something? Any others had a similar problem or know of a solution? The 1939-1946 division bars are all the same.
Attachments
DivisionBar.jpg (352.11 KB, 56 downloads)

Last edited by Donf; 07/18/2025 3:58 PM. Reason: typo
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
Try using a bar of soap to lubricate the metal and the rubber and slide it in from the end.. Wax will work, too.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I have used liquid dish soap for similar tasks. I can’t recall with certainty using it for that particular adventure, but it was likely done there too.

Last edited by 46Sparky; 07/19/2025 7:32 PM.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
I'm with Sparky on using liquid dish soap. thumbs_up A liberal application, and get a couple of plastic putty knives to compress and push the sides down under the retaining edges of the metal cover. It would help to have a work surface with a V to support and rest the metal cover into, probably laying on top of an old towel (don't use the Mrs's good towels - big_eek ) while you push those edges down and into the channel.

Let us know how things turn out. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
My first try was with silicon lubricant. I went back and tried liquid dish soap with no success. I can get about an inch inserted at most. My rubber strip has a steel insert and is not flexible. This prevents you from sliding the insert straight in. You can get things started but the slight angle of the insert to the bar prevents you from continuing the slide in.

My thought is to remove the inner edge of the insert groove so that it will lay or press into the channel. I can then secure it with adhesive or a bonding agent.

Any thoughts? Am I still missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I’m not recalling having this much difficulty with this task on my ‘46. Lucky I guess?

I wonder if gently and slightly lifting the crimp all along one of the metal edges is an option? Both sides might need the same effort, but maybe try just one side first to see if it will be enough. Some sheet metal flat nose pliers carefully “walked” along the edge might do the trick. I’ve used that trick to open the door window scrape channels in order to remove the old rubber scrapes. The crimp was reestablished afterwards using the same sheet metal pliers and light taps with a hammer and blunt steel bar.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0