The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
Hi all, Happy Friday. Trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra money on getting my 16" C10 wheels powder coated instead or go the cheaper route on painting them myself. A local reputable place quoted me $85 per wheel for both sandblasting and powder coating. Just planning on getting the factory standard white that Chevy used on the wheels between '67 - '72. Curious if taking off and putting on the hub caps damages the powder coat at all? I'm definitely leaning towards the powder coat option but I thought I'd get some opinions from the board. Thanks everyone.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
I Purchased new wheels and hubcaps from The Wheelsmith 4 years ago.

I paid the extra$60 each for powder coating because I didn't want to paint them myself. 10,000 miles of normal use driving and the wheels look great. No scratches or chips. Hubcaps didn't damage the finish, either.

I will say that I've painted wheels on other cars I own and they look good forever but hubcaps will scratch the paint off.
Attachments
IMG_20220131_152910.jpg (84.41 KB, 61 downloads)
IMG_20220201_122952.jpg (67.85 KB, 61 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2025
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
I Purchased new wheels and hubcaps from The Wheelsmith 4 years ago.

I paid the extra$60 each for powder coating because I didn't want to paint them myself. 10,000 miles of normal use driving and the wheels look great. No scratches or chips. Hubcaps didn't damage the finish, either.

I will say that I've painted wheels on other cars I own and they look good forever but hubcaps will scratch the paint off.

Thanks a lot for your inout Otto. Glad to hear that the powder coat doesn't get damaged with hubcaps. Are you able to tell from 10ft away if wheels have been painted vs powder coated?

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
No. They are smooth as glass and shiny. No one could tell the difference between paint and powder coat.

Here are some pictures that might give you an idea.
Attachments
IMG_20220929_101900.jpg (121.34 KB, 51 downloads)
IMG_20220922_164259.jpg (109.98 KB, 53 downloads)
IMG_20240404_151934.jpg (128.85 KB, 53 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0