Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,313 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | Does anyone have a resource for the frame dimensions of a 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab? I have a friend who will give me his 1992 truck. I have two 1952 chevy 3800 3/4 tons and a 3600 1951 1/2 ton. I'm just looking for the frame dimensions for the 1992. I have the ability to modify things as required I just would like to see how feasible this will be before I accept his offer. His truck is in running condition and is 4 wheel drive.
I have been toying with building an extended cab 52 and lengthening the bed to be at least 96 inches on the 52. This would make a much nicer driver.
Thank You. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | Is it an 8 ft bed or a 6 ft bed?
Internet says it's 34 inches wide and either 237 inches long or 218 inches long.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | It's a short bed, 6ft. I'm really after the overall shape dimensions. I have the 52 details. I hope to compare the two.
Thank You. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | Then it's 34" x 218" with a 141.5" wheelbase.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) | | Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 |
Last edited by Gdads51; 07/12/2025 1:04 AM. Reason: add detail to link title
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 | GWWirth - I think your thread will get better responses and info in the HiPo Shop forum, so it's been move there for further help and conversation. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | Are you planning on a body lift so that the '92 tires won't run into the fenders? '92 wheelbase is quite a bit wider than a '52. I suppose you could test fit an entire front clip from a 1 1/2 or 2 ton truck. The openings for the wheels are bigger.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | This is why I want the detail frame info. The 92 is wider but the fenders on the 52 extend quite a way past the wheel. Maybe able to adjust the wheel offset? We shall see. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | Don't mess with wheel offsets. You run the risk of damaging the wheel bearings, especially on front wheels.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) | | Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator) Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 2,242 | I know the 58 and a 2003 have an almost 5" difference in sidewall/sidewall width, but if you do a frame swap, the wheels do fit inside the fenders.
The old trucks tucked the wheels really deep inside the fenders compared to modern vehicles.
I don't know a better source for dimensions than the link above or just measuring it yourself, but I do think the idea has merit and it is plausible to me that it would work. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Here's what I have for the 92 extended cab. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxLUR2Br3jMQd65P7I've got a regular cab Longbed 96 that I plan on doing a similar swap on. I'm going to use a 54 GMC 2 Ton Front clip and bumper on it and I have a cut down flatbed from a grain truck that I'll be using for a bed. ~Mongo | | |
| |