The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (PAUL Berardi, Phak1, DaveV, Cheapskate1229, Otto Skorzeny, carbking, Peggy M, Wayne67vert), 138 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,244
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I was checking the alignment and the manual says between 5/64 to 1/8 inch toe-in. Mine has 1/8 inch toe in, but before I tighten the clamps I'm thinking I'll turn the connecting bar 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and make the toe-in a little bit less than 1/8 inch. Or, should I just leave it and call it good. Where are other setting their toe-in?
Attachments
IMG_0175a.jpeg (136.45 KB, 105 downloads)
IMG_0176a.jpeg (98.77 KB, 105 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 06/30/2025 3:03 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Be sure you roll the vehicle forward at least 1/2 turn of the wheels before checking the toe. Once that's done, chock the wheel front and rear with a piece of angle iron to keep it from rocking back. It can make a noticeable difference in the measurement by loading up the tie rods in the forward direction.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
Where are you taking the measurement? The farther away from the rubber the tape is, the shorter the front measurement will be and the greater the rear measurement will be.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Thanks Jerry. I'll "load up" the wheels and re-check the toe setting. Thanks for the tip.

Otto, I'm trying to take the measurement as close to the tire tread as possible. I can probably get it a little bit closer.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
If you have another piece of straight metal, it might be easier to hold that against the tire (or set it on blocks), mark it, and measure it on the bench.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 06/30/2025 11:54 AM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
Since you have new tires, just pick a sharp corner of one of the treads in the center and use that to measure from, it will take two to hold the tape. Then use you aluminum bars and measure like you have been. It will be a good test to see how accurate both ways are. Drill some holes out on the ends of your measuring bars so the bungie hooks are away from the tire, then measure with the tape touching each tire for a third test measure.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Yes, moving the bungie hooks out to the ends will allow me to measure closer to the tire. I'm really liking the suggestions to help me get a better measurement. Thank you all!


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
John - Just a suggestion, but maybe read through this early 2025 thread on Front End Alignment Specs. That one specifically talks about 1950 Chevy trucks, but there is a bit of discussion about the need for and adjustment to toe-in when changing from bias ply tires to radial tires. The original specs for our trucks were all designed for bias ply tires, so the settings may need tweaking to support the best radial tire tracking/steering. I seem to recall your new tires are radials, aren't they? I'm sure there are probably other threads on the subject too, but haven't tried to search for them yet.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,964
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,964
thumbs_up on rolling the tire back and forth after toe and remeasure. I`ve done the tread to tread , front and back before.
That will work. I taped the measuring tape on the tread. I found the best way for me alone was to make one of these sticks with a wing nut.
Point the tires forward. On the inside front of the tire slide and adjust the top piece of wood on the lettering or the
highest cup of the tire. Move around to the back side , same place. Place stick there and check gap or toe in.
With mine ,I toed in till the stick fell. www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...y-apache-1-2-ton-panel-truck#Post1577271

Last edited by Guitplayer; 06/30/2025 2:29 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Thanks to everyone for suggestions, ideas and more knowledge gathering. I believe I'm all set with the alignment. I have it set to 1/16 inch toe-in and that should be good to get me on the road when the time comes. Also, when turning the wheels left the pitman arm does not touch the brake hose - the steering stops are doing their job. Tire seems to get a little close to the arm, but it does not touch.
Attachments
IMG_0180a.jpg (129.24 KB, 58 downloads)
IMG_0182a.jpg (122.14 KB, 58 downloads)
IMG_0181a.jpg (101.2 KB, 58 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 06/30/2025 6:51 PM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by Gdads51
... The original specs for our trucks were all designed for bias ply tires, so the settings may need tweaking to support the best radial tire tracking/steering. I seem to recall your new tires are radials, aren't they?

Yes, I have radials and I decided that I would set the toe-in to 1/16 inch and not zero. I guess I'll see how that works out. Thanks for always sharing.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
With all new parts, 1/16" is probably OK, as they wear, 1/8" will be good. The point of toe-in is so under driving conditions, the tires are still close to parallel when going down the road. Rolling the tires forward with full weight on them is needed for a true measurement, don't use the brakes to stop, and don't let it roll backwards, both of which can change the measurement. Does it really matter? probably not, no alignment shop I have been in rolls them, but it's the most accurate way.

After a few 100 miles of driving, check it again along with the tire wear.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by Joe H
... After a few 100 miles of driving, check it again along with the tire wear.

Will do! Thanks Joe.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
On topic question. Is one of the reasons for toe to impart some side force on the wheel bearings in order to take the slop out of the ball bearings? Ball bearing adjustment calls for backing off the spindle nut from tight to just enough slack in order to allow for inserting the cotter pin to keep the nut from coming off since it isn't tight to the inner bearing race once properly adjusted.
I am envisioning a properly adjusted ball bearing without any toe is, or not enough toe in wobbling around and causing vibration.
I have heard of modern vehicles with zero toe in, but they have roller bearings which are installed with a specific amount of residual preload which takes away all of the slack, thus no vibration.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,818
I don't think the wheel bearings are any consideration. Positive toe improves tracking and stability in a straight driving with less wandering.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
A loose wheel bearing will cause other issues like wobble and if really loose poor steering. We got some new 47 passenger school buses with a much lighter front axle then our other buses, 4 out of five had a 45 - 50 mph steering wobble. We balanced the tires a couple times but could never get rid of it, so I went to the wheel bearings and tightened them up more then normal. All five drive normal now.

Even if the ball bearings were a little loose, your toe-in adjustment would compensate for it if it was rolled forward or was on swivel plates.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0