The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Marlow), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
I just installed a Vapor Trapper charcoal canister (https://www.vaportrapper.com/) above the tank and vented through the floor outside. This was done to reduce or eliminate the gas smell in the garage. Instructions state that the gas cap must be non vented, which makes sense to force fumes through the canister. I can find non vented caps for the sedans but having trouble with one for a truck.

I am hoping someone here has information on an exterior non vented cap for the truck. or able to point me towards a resource that can assist.

Thanks, Joe

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Try looking up stant gas cap fitment guide they may have some application that may work or if your local flaps have some stock you can bring the old cap down and match up the ears to fit on your truck and you can see if the caps they have are vented .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
There might be some out there that fit but vented caps were the only type auto makers were using back then as it was the only way to vent the tank and allow fresh air inside to replace fuel as it was pumped out.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Is it possible to modify the vented cap to block the vent hole?


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
All of the caps that I have bought from Classicparts.com for AD trucks are essentially non-vented. They cause a vacuum in the tank as gas is removed, as well as cause pressure inside the tank on a hot day.
I don't know if they fit Task Force trucks. They probably do.
If they don't fit, I would be surprised if the ones they sell for Task Force trucks were not also essentially non-vented.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
Yes, Carl you're right. They are vented caps but the valve that vents the cap fails frequently. He'd probably buy one that actually worked.

The part number for the TF and AD truck caps is the same so he'll have to find a cap with the same locking ears that isn't vented. You're probably going to have to dig through boxes of gas caps to find one. Unfortunately parts stores don't carry a lot of these style caps anymore. They're all modern plastic ones.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
Here's what the AD , TF gas cap looks like. The vents could probably be epoxied shut.
Attachments
Gas Cap Vented.jpg (164.44 KB, 106 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
Thanks gents, I will try the epoxy idea. Joe

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
Got mine from the local napa it had one that was non vented.
I did the charcoal cannister as well.

Joined: May 2024
Posts: 61
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2024
Posts: 61
Here’s what I have on the 72 c30 after I misplaced the one on it. Per advance auto computer. The old one never built up pressure in the tank. The new one built up pressure in the tank. I took a 1/8 drill bit and ran it down the 5 holes on the new cap solved the pressure problem.
Attachments
IMG_6058.jpeg (196.54 KB, 45 downloads)
IMG_6059.jpeg (220.2 KB, 45 downloads)


1972 Chevy c30 Flatbed
"Weekly driver as I work on it"
Follow along in the DITY

1938 Chevrolet 1.5 Ton
"On The Hunt For A BIG BOLT"
Found! And the story continues in his DITY bay
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,830
I have the same one. I bent those tangs and took it apart, removing the valve and spring inside. No more problems. Interestingly it worked fine for a couple years then suddenly I had a negative pressure situation in the tank.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0