The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (BC59, Rusted Nut, Phak1, Robert Crandall, Gray_Ghost, Southerntruck), 124 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,686
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
I have a pile of parts for 51-53 GMC front end sheet metal. I want to put them together.
Almost enough parts for two complete sets. I have been looking for bolt/nut kits and prices.
Some online kits are as cheap as $55 to $75. Jim Carters has great parts, but the only kit I
saw on line was for a 55 (not sure how much difference), and costs $435. Big difference.
I know I get what I pay for, but the parts are not going on a truck yet, just getting put into
a set (or two).
Question 1) Any opinions on sources for nut/bolt kits to preassemble front end sheet metal?

Question 2) WD 40, or something else on bolts/ screws so they com apart again later?

Question 3) Anyone know of a salvage AD cab somewhere, that I might get the front panel
from, I just need hood hinges and fender attachment areas intact, to help hold a front
clip together? Or can I fab something from plywood???
Any hints/ ideas would be of great help, AND would make my wife happy. Both are important!
Thanks for any advise. Mike.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
Mike - I think your questions are all related to paint and body stuff, so I've move your thread to the Paint and Body Shop for further conversation and help. Others should be along soon to provide some info and suggestions. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
Mike - A little web surfing located this Front Clip Bolt Kit that should give you the vast majority of what you are needing. As far as question 2 goes, I don't know that I would use anything since any lubricant you use will have to be cleaned/removed from your parts come painting time.

As for question 3, put an ad up in Truck Parts Wanted if you are looking at locating a salvage cab. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Mike, nearly all the bolts for the front clip on an AD truck are 5/16" coarse thread hex head. Most are 1" long, with a few needing to be 1-1/2" long. Go to your local fastener store and buy a box of 100 5/16" x 1" bolts, a box of 100 5/16" hex nuts, a box of 100 flat washers, a box of 100 lock washers, a few (maybe 20) 5/16" fender washers, and a few (also maybe 20) 1-1/2" long bolts. There's also a number of #14 hex head sheet metal screws and matching J-nuts. I think 20 of each of those would be plenty as well. You'll be way better off price wise than buying a bolt kit. You just have to do a little figuring on what's needed.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,495
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,495
One of our ‘Bolters, Steve who operates a salvage yard called “Mongo’s Garage” specifically for early GM trucks. He could supply you with the panels you need and ship it to you. Here is his contact info. (816) 265-1462


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
Thank you guys! This is a great group! Good answers for each question. Perfect. Mike.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,223
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,223
Keep WD-40 away from your truck! It causes all kinds of issues later on when you go to paint...it's bad stuff to have around a restoration project.

SS fasteners likes to gall up, so ALL stainless steel bolts should have Anti-Seize on the threads if you ever want to take it back apart. It's optional on zinc plated steel bolts.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,050
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,050
I bought a bumper to bumper bolt kit in polished stainless hex head. I don't remember where I got them. Loctite makes anti-seize, red, and blue in stick form now. they are awesome.
Attachments
body bolt 1.jpg (155.88 KB, 69 downloads)
body bolt 2.jpg (155.18 KB, 70 downloads)
body bolt 3.jpg (367.23 KB, 70 downloads)
body bolt 4.jpg (382.99 KB, 70 downloads)
body bolt 5.jpg (327.6 KB, 70 downloads)
body bolt 6.jpg (301.84 KB, 70 downloads)


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
Nice. How much was the set?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Having them all labeled as to where they go is handy. Removes a lot of headscratch


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,393
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,393
I can relate to the benefit of labeled parts bages. I am trying to determine what hardware I need for some aspects of my truck assembly given that it wasn't fully together when I bought it and what disassembly I did was over 3 years ago. I have purchased some specific hardware kits from the normal sources but those only help with about 10% of the overall situation.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
I took a ton of pictures when disassembling my truck over a period of 5+ years. But of course I missed some areas. Had to rely on my fuzzy memory for a lot of it, but managed to get it bolted together.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
I'm going to follow all this good advice! I should be able to put together two front clips.
I used to buy all my bolts, nuts, washers, from JC Whitney, when they sent out a paper
catalog. I'm on the west coast, so anyone wish to offer an opinion about where you guys
get fair to good quality auto bolts, etc., in boxes of 100? Online or in a chain store? For
me now, decent or better quality is more valuable than cheapest price. Thanks again!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I've used BoltDepoe.com several times. Lots of choices there.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
McMaster-Carr in the LA area has about anything you need in any grade. Or Fastenal at 4421 Giannecchini Ln Suite 200 Stockton, CA USA 95206

We have a local outfit called Fasteners and Fire Equipment that is a good source, too.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,050
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,050
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Nice. How much was the set?

It's been a while but I think it was around $700.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0