Hey guys any tips on installing the glass in the original frame. Bought all new glass as a package from auto city classic and it seems like the glass is too big for my frame or am I doing something wrong.
Travis - "...too big..." as in too thick to fit into the frame? IIRC, there are several different thickness setting tapes available. It's possible you need a thinner setting tape. They can range from 1/32" up to 1/16" thick. Measure the gap of the frame where the glass sits, then the glass thickness and figure out the difference which is your setting tape gap. Remember that the tape goes on both sides of the glass so the thinnest tape (usually 1/32") will add 1/16" of thickness to your glass pane when trying to fit into the channel. Helpful???
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
No sir I believe the thickness is correct with the 1/32 setting tape I have, I am talking about the glass dimensions themself. From my research the glass is 15 7/8” top to bottom and 28 3/4 side to side. When attempting to put together with my rubber mallet the frame wants to stretch out of proportion that is when I stopped and thought I better try to ask someone who has done this before.
Your pictures make the glass panes look like they are just a bit to large for the frame, from what I can tell. I don't have any experience with what specific size the panes should be. Perhaps another Bolter with a '39 will chime in and offer more insight?
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Hi Travis- From the pictures you posted, it looks like your ‘39’s windows were upgraded with ‘41-‘46 window frames (mine were, too!). Originally, ‘39 and ‘40 trucks did not have the metal frame around the door glass, which resulted in glass breakage. To accommodate the metal frame, ‘41-‘46 window glass is slightly smaller than the ‘39-‘40 glass, which is why I believe the ‘39 glass you ordered will not fit in your frames.
Here’s a link to an article that discusses ‘39-‘46 Chevy truck window glass.
Thanks for the informative replies, I’ve learned a lot from this group.I acquired the truck from someone who had given up halfway through the build and I didn’t get every piece to the puzzle. So needless to say it has been lots of trial and error the last two years since I got it.