The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (R&S 51 GMC, Tiny), 152 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1576314 05/01/2025 1:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 116
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 116
I have a 350' chevy 4 bolt main block with 2 sets of caps. Bothe sets are numbered 2,3 and 4 but I am sure you already know my question. I have cleaned up the block and bothe sets of caps. I have installed bothe sets separately. I don't ever remember having to tap them in with a medium sized hammer, so how do I determine what set is going to work? My smart _ _ _ buddy's said to toss a coin heads or tails? These caps were wired separately in a wooden box, I can't remember how long I have had the 350, I am sure the early 70's.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Unless they were original equipment to the engine, they will probably have to be line bored to fit the block. Finding an alleged "machinist" willing to do the job will be the biggest problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 116
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 116
Hotrod, what about the light tapping with a hammer to seat the caps in the block?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
That's normal- - - -they're supposed to be a snug fit. It keeps the cap from shifting sideways, and keeps the bored hole perfectly round. Now, if it takes a medium velocity swing with a BFH, that's what we call "too tight!" You can chamfer the corners of the block and/or the cap VERY slightly with a file to help guide it into place. The aftermarket 4 bolt caps I used to install on 2-bolt race engines were intentionally made a few thousandths too wide to compensate for manufacturing tolerances between blocks, and had to be file-fitted, then line bored.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0