Anyone ever laid their eyes on the underside of an original AD truck cab? I have read that it was not painted body color, but just painted with red oxide primer, and there was body color paint overspray on the edges from painting the rest of the cab.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
I'll go out and look at mine. I know for a fact it wass not painted Mariner Blue, which was the truck's original color.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I don't think my underside is painted with red oxide primer, either.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I just went out and looked at mine. Yes, it is black. No hint of red oxide or body color overspray.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Unless there is one out there that was garage kept its entire life, I doubt that there would be much original primer left under the cab. I do know where there is a 52 firetruck which has spent most of its life inside. I'll need to do a road trip and crawl under it.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
The primer used on my '51 was flat black. But there wasn't a significant amount visible on the bottom of the cab. It was built in Oakland. Other plants may have used red oxide primer. I know of a fully original '48, but don't know how to get hold of the owner. It was also built in Oakland.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
The interior of my truck showed the most protected and original finish. Granted it was the two tone blue offered in 54 but where the paint was worn thin, you could see the primer or sealer was black. Also, if you removed the lower door hinge covers, it was black showing that interior was painted with the covers installed?