The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shade Baby, Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157116 03/08/2005 10:53 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
I've been nearly 18 months on and off disassembling my 50 half ton chevy (I've become a master at shearing rusted bolts!) My question today is what kind of tool do I need to disassemble (and reassemble) my grill?

#157117 03/10/2005 7:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
The grille is riveted, so you will need to drill out the rivets and replace them. It's best to not take the grille apart if you can avoid it. The grille is bolted to the fenders.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#157118 03/10/2005 7:57 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
I have already removed the grill from the body. The issue is that I have to replace 2 of the bars as they are dented and rusted beyond repair. The only rivets I've ever removed and replaced involved a chisel and a big hammer. Obviously this doesn't work on the grill. So after I drill the old rivets out...how do I get it back together when I get my repacement bars? I assume there is some sort of rivet tool available?

#157120 04/02/2005 6:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
All home centers like Lowe's, The Home Depot and Menards, as well as the local auto parts stores carry pop rivet tools and pop rivets. I an automotive project, I would use stainless steel or aluminum rivets due to their rust resistance. You can also use the old method by utilizing an air hammer with a rivet set head on it and a bucking bar. They call this bucking rivets. It is commonly used in marine and aviation applications. Make sure both parts are tight and the holes are the same size and correct for the rivet being used. This will ensure a tight, long-lasting connection, especially on a grill that will be subjected to constant vibration.

#157121 04/04/2005 4:39 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 10
Great. That was the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated Tony.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0