| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
126
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 | I've been nearly 18 months on and off disassembling my 50 half ton chevy (I've become a master at shearing rusted bolts!) My question today is what kind of tool do I need to disassemble (and reassemble) my grill? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | The grille is riveted, so you will need to drill out the rivets and replace them. It's best to not take the grille apart if you can avoid it. The grille is bolted to the fenders.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 | I have already removed the grill from the body. The issue is that I have to replace 2 of the bars as they are dented and rusted beyond repair. The only rivets I've ever removed and replaced involved a chisel and a big hammer. Obviously this doesn't work on the grill. So after I drill the old rivets out...how do I get it back together when I get my repacement bars? I assume there is some sort of rivet tool available? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | All home centers like Lowe's, The Home Depot and Menards, as well as the local auto parts stores carry pop rivet tools and pop rivets. I an automotive project, I would use stainless steel or aluminum rivets due to their rust resistance. You can also use the old method by utilizing an air hammer with a rivet set head on it and a bucking bar. They call this bucking rivets. It is commonly used in marine and aviation applications. Make sure both parts are tight and the holes are the same size and correct for the rivet being used. This will ensure a tight, long-lasting connection, especially on a grill that will be subjected to constant vibration. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 10 | Great. That was the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated Tony. | | |
| |
| |