Getting ready to close up my differential after an overhaul.

I wanted to be sure that the pinion spacer should be loose on the pinion shaft. Of course it is not loose in the horizontal direction as my axle/spacer clearance is within spec at .007" which keeps the spacer centered. Where it is loose is the other direction. The pinion shaft measures .808" and the pinion spacer block id measures .875". I also have the wider spacer block P/N 372515 which has the same id. If this is correct not sure why they designed it with so much clearance. Maybe I am missing something.

I thought that possibly when the differential is turning the block settles into one place? That would account for the exact axle wear marks on the sides of the block.

Is this correct?


Thanks,
Larry


Larry

46 Chevy 1/2 ton stake - family truck for 78 years
USAF 75-81