The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,354
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1569183 01/29/2025 9:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1953 3100, I'm looking to swap out the rear end along with the transmission and driveshaft if the deal goes thru.
I have a limited amount of intelligence and alot of mechanical experience, can anybody and everybody guide me, better yet, in layman terms tell me what parts I would need to make this happen. I would like to switch over to parts that are readily available and easily repaired.
Can I go with a rear end that has disc brakes already and still work with existing emergency brake setup?
These are the questions among others that I would need information and installing procedures.
Thanks
Jim


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,848
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,848
There's no "bolt in" swap. What vehicle with rear discs are you considering? I doubt any rear disc brake setup on a modern car will work with a 53 truck parking brake setup.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
In my opinion, you will first need to select what transmission you want to go with. Then choose an appropriate rear axle gear ratio which will work well with that transmission.
My first choice would be a T-5. They come in a number of gear ratios 1 through 5. Fifth gear ratio is the one that will best determine what rear axle ratio that you want to look for so that overdrive is useful and first gear isn't granny gear.
Parking brake cable attachment will need some fabrication if you go with a modern rear axle.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
I'm not sure what rear end to use or where to find one that will work, everything I'm reading the width is like 62 inches and new shock pads need to be welded on, if that's correct.
As far as the transmission goes I'd like to keep the 3 on the tree linkage but would need a newer version transmission that would work for the 3 on a tree.
I can honestly say the e brake is really not a major concern as the floor boards are rotted out and I can do like Fred Flintstone to stop it only kidding.
Any reccomendations on what rear end and transmission that would work would be helpful.


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
Consider the differential swap. This would be the easiest way to success with. You will keep the brake lines and emergency brakes as they are. No mods. You will not get disc brakes but the diff will be 3.90. You will have to mod the axle perches as the pivots will not work. As 52carl noted, the T5 is best option and closest to bolt in you will get with minimal modifications. They are getting hard to find used but new and rebuilt’s are available. This is the route I went with no regrets.

Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
Thanks, do you have rear end information and t 5 information, I looked at t 5 on line and they are going for about $2400.00, I'm looking for plain Jane daily driver trans.


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
You don't have to buy T5s a dozen at a time! Local salvage yards in my area are getting $500.00 to $750.00 for T5s, and private sales on places like Facebook marketplace are even lower.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,951
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,951
Definitely search your local Craigslist and FB Marketplace ads. There was an S10 T5 with what most would say were great gear ratios and mechanical speedometer drive on the East Coast that was advertised at $350. They are out there, you just have to actively look and watch. wink

You could also put an ad of your own in the Truck Parts Wanted forum.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by Cheapskate1229
Thanks, do you have rear end information and t 5 information, I looked at t 5 on line and they are going for about $2400.00, I'm looking for plain Jane daily driver trans.

Fellow Cheapskate here….

Even though I already own a very rebuildable core S10 T5, this (see link below) is a pretty good deal.

If I wasn’t such a cheapskate, I’d jump on it. A cable speedo S10 T5 core will be hard to find for less than $500. And if you bought one for that, the rebuild kit would cost you another $150 (low side).

Not mine. Not super far away from me, however.

https://www.facebook.com/share/15nnDWjMMs/?mibextid=wwXIfr


1951 3100
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Originally Posted by Cheapskate1229
I'm looking for plain Jane daily driver trans.

Is the truck really going to be a daily driver? Or is it just an occasional use hobby vehicle?


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I think the original question was in regard to rear end swap. Does this truck have the original torque tube setup? I assume so?

The 55-64 1/2 ton truck rear is still super common and you can find one for less than $100, probably closer to free. It is a super easy swap. Might need someone to weld on some spring perches for you…that’s about it.

The rear under my truck is one of these that was literally free. I found out, during install, mine had a 3.38 gear set in it. 99% of them are going to be 3.90. 3.90 with 30 inch tires is a very highway drive-able combo.


1951 3100
JW51 #1569273 01/30/2025 10:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
So years 1955 64 half ton rears will work, with the exception of welding perches on?
Correct me if I'm wrong any 55 64 half ton trucks, or a specific model.


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
Can you be more specific on which t 5 to get?
Year range
Model or casting number etc.


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
There’s some overlap in the 63ish-64 range with the 6 lug 12 bolt rear end. The one I’m referring to is called a 55T or HO33. Looks nearly identical to the torque tube rears. Just has a normal u joint on the front.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by Cheapskate1229
Can you be more specific on which t 5 to get?
Year range
Model or casting number etc.

Read up here:
https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/thinking-about-installing-a-t5-read-this-first.html

Edit: that FB listing I posted earlier is an 89 and ~shouldn’t~ be a cable Speedo. But the seller says it is cable.

Last edited by JW51; 01/31/2025 1:19 PM.

1951 3100

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0