The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Hello,

I purchased a 1953 3100 1/2 ton last year and have a rather small problem that I could live with, but I rather would like to fix it. (The truck is littered with little imperfections I dislike and I am going through them one-by-one)

A picture of the tale gate to post (side wall) is attached. The problem is that the truck was nicely restored, but the box wall to floor was not squared before the box was painted.

What options do I have to fix this without getting chipping of the paint? I feel no to minimal and I have no record of the paint being used.


I hope for some reply, Joerg
Attachments
IMG_3954.jpg (174.54 KB, 247 downloads)


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 79
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 79
Try putting the tail gate down and a 2X4 in the pocket and pull it in by hand. It looks like it needs a small tweak.


51 GMC 100 with 59 chevy 261 under the hood.
3 on the floor with 3.42 gear.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
A stake in the pocket will likely bend the single thickness of sheet metal at the top of the stake pocket. I'd try pulling it with something grabbing around the outside of the bed instead (a padded wood block?)

If you inserted the picture using the attachment manager and the post shows the image tags instead, just edit your post and confirm that the attachment manager show more than zero total files and then remove the image tags and the stuff between them. That should make the picture show up. I just did that on your original post.

Last edited by klhansen; 01/09/2025 9:19 PM. Reason: added more info

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Is there two bolts at the bottom holding the rear bottom ,I have heard that some may have been spot welded from factory but if you loosen the bottom then pull the top over ,hold in place then tighten the bottom .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Hello,

each side has three 7/16 bolts go through and I feel that they are more for attaching the tail lights, license plate holder etc. and can't have much clamping strength since the inside of the rung has no bushings or such.

I loosened the bolts and pulled with a ratchet strap from the top of the left side to the bottom of the right side and got it moved 1/8", enough to call it good, no paint chipping off, so I think I let it be like it.

BTW, a 2x4 doesn't fit here, only perhaps a 1 1/2" x 1 5/8" and I feel like klh said, that it will bust and bend the thin top sheet metal.

Thanks, Joerg


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
The bolts which hold the bedside to the rear cross sill should not be through bolts. They should be short bolts with the nuts and lock washers located inside of the rear stake pocket bracket. Three of these bolts hold the hinges and license plate brackets on at the rear of the stake support bracket, while three more bolts go in the front of the stake pocket bracket. All six of them will hold the bedside in the proper position. Originally the bedside was gas welded to the rear crossmember. Not a good option when the bed is already painted. I don't weld mine. The many short bolts hold them in place.
Loosen these bolts and either have someone push on the bedside while you tighten the bolts, or use a ratchet strap with the hooks inside of the holes in the rear of the bedside where your plugs are now located.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Yes '52Carl, I will try that, but I need to remove the long 5/16" bolts and replace them with six short bolts, probably best with flange nuts from the inside. Will try in February, since I will be away for three weeks now.

Thanks, Joerg


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
This has nothing to do with the box wall alignment, but with the tailgate.

I asked my wife to make me two fabric socks for the tailgate chain & hooks. The original plastic socks that came with the truck were just ugly, stiff and not nice.

This should make a difference (could have gotten a little heavier fabric, well, next time).
Attachments
IMG_4301.JPG (74.5 KB, 116 downloads)
FABRIC TAIL GATE CHAIN SOCKS


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,383
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,383
You may want her to make a button hole at the low point of the sock loop to aid moisture escape. I agree the plastic socks are not desirable.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Did chains come with a cover when new?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
I'm pretty sure they didn't otherwise all the vendors would be selling replica socks.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Carl, classic Industries has the chains under CX1311 (I noticed that one hook is left and one right and it makes a difference were you mount which with scratching the paint!) and the plastic covers under CX1319. I have no clue if the original trucks came with anything over the chain, but one would hope and assume, because the rattling of the chains against the paint would make a mess in a hurry. I have seen any kind of cover over it from old garden hose over electrician tape to baler twin woven over it (and I have to admit, the one I saw with baler twin was done nice and it didn't look bad).

The socks are from lose woven cotton and shouldn't hold any water. The truck should go in the living room when it rains and my leather couches can sit outside (don't tell my wife!).

Cheers, Joerg


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
Originally Posted by Biermann
(I noticed that one hook is left and one right and it makes a difference were you mount which with scratching the paint!)
Joerg, I believe that is just the way they took the picture. If you flipped one hook over, they would be identical.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Hello Phil,

I believe your are wrong (sorry to say).

Look at the pictures of the two hooks with chain I have, if installed wrong, the hook-point will hit the tailgate!
Attachments
IMG_4313.JPG (82.66 KB, 43 downloads)
TAILGATE CHAIN HOOKS
IMG_4314.JPG (47.97 KB, 43 downloads)


~ NORTH OF 49TH
1948 GMC Model 9434 Frame rebuild
1953 Chevrolet 1314 1/2 ton rebuild
Follow along it the DITY Bay
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
I stand corrected! I never noticed that on my stock chains. I’m presently 950 miles away from my truck so I can’t check.

I will be installing new chains once my truck is painted, so thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited by Phak1; 03/03/2025 11:55 PM. Reason: Additional info

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0