I bought a new replacement for a 64 to 66. Well it is different vs what I had. Can't find the original yet in my bunch of parts, but the bezel and rubber mount seems to fit a much sharper angle and me OE hole is on the flat.
Pictures of the new parts and hole might help us understand what you mean.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Ferris, I can't tell for sure where your antenna hole is from your close up shot. Below is a screen grab from a 1966 Chevrolet dealers handout showing a picture of a C10 with the antenna installed. Looks to be on a slight slope of the cowl extension panel from what I can see. Maybe this is helpful???
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Ferris, I did a little web searching and came across this link from Summit Racing for the 1964 Chevy C10 Antenna installation instructions. Should be virtually identical to your '66 install so maybe this info will clear up where and how it gets installed. It should also help confirm if the antenna you have will fit or not I think. Let us know how it turns out.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
That pic helps a lot. Nothing came with the new purchase. No matter what I am drilling a larger hole for some reason? Will take another look at it this weekend.
Warning Will Rogers - Before you drill!!! Read through and look closely at those instructions. I would pay extra attention to the instructions in "Step 3" and the picture "Figure 2". In my minds eye, you need to disassemble the antenna cap, bezel and bezel gasket from the antenna rod and slide the antenna UP through the hole in the fender extension when installing. I highly suggest you disassemble the antenna and check the diameter of the antenna shaft (above the cast base portion) that goes through the hole and the existing drilled hole. You shouldn't need to drill that hole any longer IMHO.
This antenna install is completely different from most mid 1960's Chevy cars which used a completely different mounting set up and a much larger hole in the fender/body panel,which may be what is making you think you need larger hole.
Edit: Adding a note that when you install the antenna to the extension panel, that is done with the extension panel removed from the truck.
Last edited by Gdads51; 11/19/20245:58 PM. Reason: add edit note
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)