What 1937-39 GMC trucks were equipped with the Oldsmobile flathead 6 cylinder 230 engine? A recent conversation in another thread seems to indicate that 1/2 - 1 ton trucks used a Pontiac 223 flathead (at least for 1937-38).
Reason I ask is I came across an NORS water pump made by Warner Machine Products Inc, Part# P-28 (seems to be from around 1950 per documents in the box), that says on the label it fits 1937-39 GMC trucks with "TYPE 230 MOTOR", in addition to fitting 1936-48 Oldsmobile 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Can any of our GMC guru's help with info on what trucks this water pump would fit???
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Dan: My books only go back to '39, but notice the "408065V" number on the box under "Replaces". May be a good hint.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
1937-1938 the T14 (37 only), T-16, T-16H, F-16 and F-16H use the OLDs 230 CID. Midyear 38 a 1 1/4-ton walk-in panel delivery van. 1939 AF-230 use the 230 OLDs. GMC 228 and 248 replaced the Pontiac and OLDs engines in 1939. P/N 409545 Body casting number 408066 and 416430
Dan: My books only go back to '39, but notice the "408065V" number on the box under "Replaces". May be a good hint.
Bill, Thanks for the hint. I did see it, but I couldn't find any resource books that confirm what that goes to. My best guess is it's an Oldsmobile Part Number, but will need to ask that question elsewhere to try and get confirmation.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
1937-1938 the T14 (37 only), T-16, T-16H, F-16 and F-16H use the OLDs 230 CID. Midyear 38 a 1 1/4-ton walk-in panel delivery van use the 230 OLDs. GMC 228 and 248 replaced the Pontiac and OLDs engines in 1939.
jimgmc, Many thanks for those tidbits of info! After doing a little more web searching I see that the T-16 and F-16 models were the larger trucks as I came across some copies of dealer handouts indicating they were 1-1/2 and 2 Ton sized trucks. Saw a Dealer handout for a 1938 GMC "Special Delivery" truck that said it used the 230 engine also.
I think I am going to do more research to try and confirm what trucks this pump fits before I do anything else as I want to make sure it is accurately identified.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
dunfire, Did you mean "230" instead of "203" and "223" instead of "213" for the 1936 engine? Just want to make sure I'm understanding what you meant? Thanks!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Thanks for the updated info. Very much appreciate your sharing your knowledge.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)