The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, Danielbolt, cmayna, Lightholder's Dad, 1 invisible), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,496
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
I purchased a ‘51 Chevy cab, frame and a "bucket" of parts a few years ago (I posted it here) and I am finally to the point where I am dry fitting the fenders. I had one fender original (right front) that fit fine and the left front was a repro. I had great difficulty installing the repro and came to find out it was not the right one. It looked like it was the correct one off the frame but turned out to be too tall and too long. If anyone can help me identify what it belongs to, that would be greatly appreciated and I can then get it posted as for sale. This means I am looking for a used left front fender now. I live near Rockford IL. Dry fitting sure paid off in this case. I'm glad I didn't have that fender all prettied up!

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Sounds like you got a Big Bolt Fender. Although I didn't know that anyone reproduced fenders for Big Bolts. Maybe it was just a crappy repop. ohwell

The wheel opening is larger to fit the bigger wheels and tires. Also hood, grille, etc are larger on Big Bolts.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
51Gib, I think Kevin may have ID’d your mismatched fender. Your topic is more about correct identification, which you may want to further confirm with posting a picture for folks to see.

To help you find another fender, please post an ad in the Truck Parts Wanted forum.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
I am adding pictures to show my unknown fender. It was suggested that it may be a bigbolt fender (whatever that is) but that makes since because it is slightly larger than my short-bed 3100. The length front to back is roughly 57" (see tape measure laid out in one of the pics on my method), The rear height behind the wheel-well is around 30". The bottom of the headlamp opening to the bottom of the fender is around 18". The inner side of the headlamp opening to the inner fender edge is about 11" (see pic). There is also a painted on part number in the inside of the fender. 3682431.
I mentioned it could be a repro, but if they didn't make those then this could be NOS. It just doesn't look like its been installed although it has lots of scratches and rubs probably from being moved around for years. Nothing serious.
Attachments
20241003_105352.jpg (295.84 KB, 82 downloads)
Left front fender
20241003_111047.jpg (238.58 KB, 82 downloads)
inside
20241003_110727.jpg (233.63 KB, 83 downloads)
Front

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Yep, that's a big bolt LF fender. Could that part number actually be 3682481? That would confirm it. I'm gonna say it's NOS.
Here's a clip from the 1929-1954 parts list for front fenders with that line highlighted. Utility means the 1-1/2 ton and larger trucks.
Attachments
Front Fender listing.jpg (63.22 KB, 72 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
Yes indeed, that number is a little smudged but could very well be an 8.
Thank you all for the help. Now I can get it listed for sale. Now to find the right one.
Attachments
20241002_111540.jpg (138.19 KB, 58 downloads)
Fender part number

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
And, as an FYI, the term "Big Bolt" refers to the larger trucks-- 1 1/2 -2 ton models. There is a separate forum here which deals with those trucks.

Welcome to the Bolt!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Fenders for up to 1 ton are reproduced. I think the larger ones were never reproduced. Although not that many larger trucks are restored, those fenders are very difficult to find for someone that needs them.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
Wow, that NOS fender is gonna be a gold nugget for someone!! I've needed a left front fender for my '65 C60 for decades, and finding the fender while I have the money for it, is an event that hasn't yet lined up for me.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0