The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (55shaker, 1955 1 Series, BC59, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155968 03/14/2002 7:21 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
I am looking into buying a MIG welder. I have looked at the different models from Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller. The specs on them are quite similar, but I can't decide whether to go with the 110 or 220 volt models. My primary use will be patch panels and small fabrication like motor mounts. I do have access to a stick welder for heavy stuff. I am leaning towards the 220v models since I will have the option of slightly heavier material, but will I sacrifice the ability to easily weld sheetmetal? Am I also correct in thinking that a 220v one will be a little easier on the light bill? Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Aaron

#155969 03/14/2002 11:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
Go with the 220 volt. Gives you much more versatility. You will be able to weld patch panels very well, provided you use the correct heat range, wire speed and wire size. You usually can weld thicker metals with the 220 volt better that the 110 volt.

#155970 03/14/2002 11:51 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Hi,
I have a Lincoln Migpac 135 and it works great for everything I can do with it. It runs off 120 but requires a 20A circuit. Thin stuff doesn't require much heat. It handles up to 1/4" easily with one pass, too. It has four voltage settings, and infinite feed speed settings. The only thing I wish it had was more intermediate voltage settings. I really couldn't see going to 220V unless you are doing production welding. You get a higher duty cycle with 220 but you pay more for it. Power savings will not be significant unless you weld daily, which is unlikely for most people. If you have a stick welder I say just go for the 120. It is a lot more portable because you can use it with a regular extension cord (12 gauge or better) and you can take it to someone else's garage if you need to.
But if you find a good deal on a 220, go for it.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#155971 03/15/2002 4:20 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 46
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 46
i agree with afu45, the 220 vlt is much more versitile.
Also i have a compressor that can run 120 or 220.I was told that running it on 220 will be easier on the light bill. smile So i'm guessing it would be similiar for the welders.
I've got the same welder as 4onthefloor for home use.Very good unit and if anything it's under rated on it's capacities.

Kevin

#155972 03/15/2002 5:22 AM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
We have several welders at work--one 110V Miller 130, one Miller 200 (220V), and my favorite--a Miller CTS250 (3 phase).

The 110V unit was intended for and works great for sheet metal welding. We use it on bin floors in combines. It really should have .023 wire, but they run .030 wire to do heavier stuff beyond the welder's capacity. I see a lot of 'cold' welds with this unit but it is the operator's fault, not the machine's.

My shop does not have 3 phase in it, so I would prefer the Miller 200 there. It has all the power I require. I see ads in different catalogs about Hobart's 230, which looks like a pretty good deal. This is probably the most versatile welder we have next to the big 3 phase welder.

I have a Lincoln 225 AC buzz box that is OK for heavy stuff. I am saving up for a Miller 200 or Hobart 230. Has anyone used a HTP welder; are they any good? They don't seem to be as pricey as Miller/Hobart but is the quality comparable?


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0