I am in the process of getting a bonded title in Illinois. I needed a sign-off from the State police. He came out to inspect the vehicle. He was looking for a matching number to the door pillar tag. He stated that there should be another on the left side near the bell housing. Anyone here know of that? He left without signing off and said he may get someone more expertise out again.
Interest too is that he did an online search for my vehicle tag starting H54... It came up with a website (davesclassiccars.com). My truck photo was shown there with a description. I believe it to be a scam website. Anyone else know of this website? I purchase my truck on Ebay in 12/2017.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
Putting in "davesclassiccars.com" in my browser comes up with "this website is for sale" for an outrageous sum, although there is a "Dave's Classic Cars" that appears to be a legitimate dealer near Springfield, IL. Link No 54 trucks listed there currently.
The 1954 Vehicle Information Kit indicates that there's no frame serial number, just body, engine, transmission, and rear axle. The only serial number that starts with H54 would be the data plate on the dooor pillar. You could point him to the GM Heritage Center Archive so he can see that information for himself.
I recall seeing on here that frame serial numbers were used on later year trucks.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
JoeDude, I did a little web search like Kevin too. I found https://www.daves-classic-cars.com/ which only listed cars for sale, no Trucks for sale at all. It doesn't look like a scammers site, but is definitely not your high-dollar big business model. I also found davidsclassiccars that shows a number of 1954 Chevy 1/2 tons for sale (scroll down to see more than the top listed truck). None of the pictures matches the truck you posted HERE.
As to the comment from your local Police officer that he was looking for a corresponding engine number to match the pillar, Kevin is right that there isn't going to be one. Hopefully the next officer they send out will be more knowledgeable of how these old trucks were numbered, or at least willing to look at the information from the Heritage Center documents. Keep us posted on how this goes.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Sure will keep posted, and BTW, the photos of one of the '54's at davesclassiccars IS my truck, H54... number and all, before I restored and painted, however, I bought it at auction on Ebay from different seller.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
JoeDude, Not trying to be anything but helpful here, but you said the truck is showing as listed for sale on "davesclassiccars". The site I mentioned above with the related link shows no trucks being offered for sale at all. Did you mean that the site "davidsclassiccars" (note davids - not daves) is still listing the truck with your serial number as for sale??? If so, I'm concerned about that. Please clarify you statement please and thanks.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
My thoughts on this: It's not unusual for vehicles to be listed on multiple sites, AND not removed when sold through a different site. I'm sure the sellers use the tactic of "No, that one is sold, but we have this one that you might be interested in" when they get an inquiry on a specific vehicle. Call the one that has your truck (color and serial number) and ask about it. And ask if they have the title for it if they say they do have it for sale. Lots of these sites are basically brokers and don't have actual possession of the vehicles (or title) listed. Just because it's listed there doesn't mean that they have it for sale.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Sorry about the confusion. It is posted on davidsclassiccars with 11 photos. Just search H54J001591. There are also a couple of other sites posting. The photos are at least 7 years old. This website has no telephone # and if you try to email, it shows an error. It is a fake and scam, I believe. The site should have been taken down. Someone has to be paying for the web hosting to keep it up.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
I do see a phone number at the individual listings on that site, but searching the site for your serial number comes up with nothing. A google search on H54J001591 comes up blank as well (not even Stovebolt, which is kinda weird) Like I said, likely a broker site, as just selecting "Chevrolet" comes up with listings in lots of locations. The police officer you talked with should be savvy enough to realize that not everything you see on the web is true.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I just did a search using their webpage search box and the number you posted above and got the below response (negative results). I think after looking at several various ads on the site, they are definitely letting others post their offerings (dealers, private parties, etc.) and there seems to be no way of knowing sometimes who posted, how old some of the ads are, or if the may have been sold and never removed. I would rate them a at a minimum unreliable and suggest you show the next officer that comes out to check the truck the evidence we have provided here in the hopes it will help resolve the issue. Best of luck!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I am in the process of getting a bonded title in Illinois. I needed a sign-off from the State police. He came out to inspect the vehicle. He was looking for a matching number to the door pillar tag. He stated that there should be another on the left side near the bell housing. Anyone here know of that? He left without signing off and said he may get someone more expertise out again.
Interest too is that he did an online search for my vehicle tag starting H54... It came up with a website (davesclassiccars.com). My truck photo was shown there with a description. I believe it to be a scam website. Anyone else know of this website? I purchase my truck on Ebay in 12/2017.
Originally Posted by JoeDude
Sorry about the confusion. It is posted on davidsclassiccars with 11 photos. Just search H54J001591. There are also a couple of other sites posting. The photos are at least 7 years old. This website has no telephone # and if you try to email, it shows an error. It is a fake and scam, I believe. The site should have been taken down. Someone has to be paying for the web hosting to keep it up.
H54J001591 Is an engine #....Not a VIN #
Back in the 50's...{depending on the state}...many trucks were titled by the engine # rather than the aluminum VIN tag # on the driver door pillar.
If the original engine was removed or replaced....that # will not be repeated anywhere else on the truck.
That being said...even if the truck was titled by the correct door pillar VIN #.... That # will also NOT be repeated anywhere else on the truck.
You can tell the next state inspector to look at it that Advance Design trucks did not have any "Hidden VIN's" anywhere on the truck & looking for one will be a futile task as he will be looking for something that does not exist.
Mother Trucker, Very nice to see you're still up and running. You must be part Chevy Thanks for the feedback on this VIN issue. As I remembered, I've never seen a vin number anywhere but on the driver's door pillar plate. And it typically is the production number.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Just to stir the mix, below is from June 1954 edition of the GMC Master Parts Book covering 1939 through 1954. The bad news is that is doesn't indicate what is "older model" and what is "later model".
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
If I had to guess, I'd say AD trucks were the later model.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Just to stir the mix, below is from June 1954 edition of the GMC Master Parts Book covering 1939 through 1954. The bad news is that is doesn't indicate what is "older model" and what is "later model".
It's a know fact that GMC trucks got the serial numbers stamped on the frame rail years ahead of Chevrolet. Chevrolet didn't start stamping the frames until mid year 1955 with the second series Task Force trucks.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Crawled under my truck yesterday looking for a stamped production number on the RH front frame rail and.....nope. Not surprised.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.