The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, TUTS 59, Gdads51, TooMany2count, 2 invisible), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,348
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155882 04/20/2002 3:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 10
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 10
Hello, ihave a chance to buy a mig welder by
chicago electric dual welder. Has anyone used them are they any good ,compared to a lincoln,or
hobart? any info helpful.

#155883 04/20/2002 3:32 AM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
53, I can't answer your questions about Chicago Electric welders because I have never been around them before. I am suspect of their wimpy duty cycle, however. I used a Century welder recently that had a duty cycle of something like 20% or 30% at full output. I was using the machine at nearly full output and is sounded like it was going to fly apart-lots of rumbling and 'groaning' going on inside the welder. My uncle who has been in the welder business for years says that a lot of cheap welders use a transformer designed for say 150 amps ouput and will push output to 200 amps with a very short duty cycle. Welders like this typically do not last long.

I have been researching MIG welders for some time now and I would like an opinion of HTP welders and plasma cutters. Their web site is www.usaweld.com. Of course I want the biggest one, the MIG 240. I have received their catalog but I really would like opinions from someone who has been around one of these welders.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
#155884 04/20/2002 4:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
Chicago electric is a Harbor Freight brand. It might be an OK buy, depending on what you do with it. The quality is generally only good enough to get the job done. If you are planning on doing any sheetmetal welding, I'd look elsewhere.

#155885 04/20/2002 9:44 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
MY first one was a Clarke, company in OHIO, but made in Taiwan. Gun not so good and rollers were trouble in machine, otherwise OK, but wire did hang-up alot and P*** me off! I sold it and got a Lincoln 100. Much better gun and tubing, better rollers, easier to set wire feed speeds and more. I sold it oneday needing some $ quick. MISTAKE! Paid about $100 more for it, but was much better unit. I plan on getting either the Hobart Handler or another Lincoln soon. Prices sure have gone up now! By the time you buy the Gas kit for one w/out, it is about same price as one with the kit. Gas makes cleaner welding than the flux wire too.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#155886 04/20/2002 4:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a Sears professional series I got on a catalog sale. It has Miller stamped all over it and appears to be the same as a Millermatic 251. Right now it has a 40 pound spool on it and the rollers have no problem starting / stopping the wire / spool. It does great on up to 1/2 inch steel so far with .035 wire. Makes a nice clean weld with very little spatter on axle housing / spring perches. Next project is to try it on some body sheet metal, but I have been told I should downsize on the wire. I am very happy with it - like a compressor, a little more money spent here is worth every penny when you are trying to do a good job and make good use of your time down the road.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0