Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
125
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | I just installed new window glass runs in my doors and wing posts. All of the door rubber, and window runs came from Steele Rubber. It all worked out OK, but my door windows crank up and down very hard. It seemed to me that the channel run in the wing post was a pretty tight fit on the glass, at least more so than the glass run up the rear of the door. I imagine that this will loosen up over time, but for now it is much too tight to roll the windows up and down. I'm wondering about a possible lubricant to put in the front and rear glass runs. The only thing I could think of was some powdered graphite. What do you think?
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,499 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,499 | Mike, graphite is what I was taught to use. That was a long time ago. If you can find some of that, try it and see. Some of the post channel pieces are pretty tight...at least the ones we get today and they seem to stay that way a long time. Good luck.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Find a small piece of wood or whatever which is the same thickness as the glass and slide it the full length of the glass runs to look for tight spots. A big screwdriver can be used to open up any ticht spots. Those runs are fairly malleable and easy to work into shape.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | Thanks to all. I have eliminated a few tight spots. My plan was to use graphite, which I did one door. I ran out of graphite, so I used silicone on the other door. Both lubes made a pretty big improvement immediately. I'm assuming that both sides will loosen up slightly after they're used a bit.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | The run channels do have a little adjustability to them. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 760 | For those who may be interested. After a few days of sitting, and rolling the windows up and down a few times each day, the side that I used the graphite on was better than the side that I used the silicone on. So, I went and got more graphite and used it on both windows. I'm personally convinced that the graphite worked out better. My 2 cents worth.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
| | |
| |