Hi - I'm working on a 48 Fleetline with a Rochester B carb. The idle speed adjustment doesn't seem to stay - as soon as the accelerator pump linkage is moved the cam looking piece (1/4 round piece with the ridged on the edge) tends to rotate down, changing the idle speed. I'm hoping someone can explain the idle speed cam connection and operation. I'm wondering if there is a piece or connection missing (spring, etc) - I don't see this particular type of adjustment mechanism in the Chevy shop manual or any other Rochester B picture/video I've seen. Not sure if the screw connecting the cam to the carb is supposed to tighten to keep the adjustment or what but looks like the prior owner tried to spot weld the cam to the screw (note the small blob of metal on the cam) so it can't be tightened... Any help appreciated!
It looks like you're missing the fast idle link between the choke linkage and the throttle. There's a picture of that link in the 1948-1951 Truck shop manual on page 6-60, although it looks a little different than yours. There should be some kind of link or rod between choke and throttle mechanism. A PM to carbking here would probably sort out your issue. As his username says, he's the carburetor expert.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Looks like you have a 235 carburetor on a 216, judging from the carb flange hanging over the edge of the manifold, exposing the wider space hole of the 235 Model B. You may want to save yourself some big headaches and start with the correct carburetor for a 216 that's complete, in better condition, and all there.
Last edited by 52Carl; 08/30/20241:44 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Isn’t the bolt spacing different for 216 vs 235 carbs? I tried but can’t swap my 216 and 235 carbs on my trucks I had to borrow the whole manifold to move the 216 carb onto my donor 235 engine that I wanted to use in my 50 So not sure how one could mix that carb to engine without being very intent on trying it
Edit: I think I see what you mean, the carb is modified to fit the different spacing I get it -s
If you want a quick fix you can take the cam screw out & put a washer behind it. That will lock up the cam & then adjust the idle speed the way you want it. It is supposed to have a rod connecting the cam to the choke lever as previously stated. That is supposed to raise the idle speed when the choke is closed.
George
They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super In the Gallery Forum
You could just let the fast idle cam fall to its natural gravity induced position, adjust the hot idle and let it go for now. Without the linkage in place, you won't have fast idle when applying choke.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Some people elongate the holes in the carburetor base to enable it to fit.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
You may look into Mike’s Carburetor website or YouTube videos. He rebuilds these make and model carburetors. Here is my B carb on our 1948 3100 Chevy Truck install on our 216 engine
Last edited by TexasA&M48Truck; 08/30/20242:08 PM.
Thanks everyone for the great input and ideas, I appreciate it! Guess we'll have to rig up something to make the idle cam linkage or make it not matter (adjust for it in it's static position) as suggested. The previous owner, for whatever reason, decided to try to spot weld the screw holding the cam on but it didn't stay. My shop manual must be for a different carb, which makes sense if this is for a 235 as you guys suggest. I've attached it... I guess I'll try to find a diagram on line of this particular carb unless someone has one they can share - much appreciated!! Thanks again!
Thanks, yes I've used mike's videos when rebuilding this carb. Yours seems a bit different as I don't see the same idle cam as on mine.. Maybe because as others are suggesting, it's been replaced from a 235...
jeffbanjo -- The original carburetor on a 1948 216 would be a Carter type W-1 model number 574s.
As GM owned Rochester (first single barrel carb in 1950), the Chevrolet parts manuals printed after 1950 suggested the Rochester as a factory service carb. This is why the information in your manual differs from the carburetor you have.
(Opinion) the Carter W-1 is a vastly superior carburetor to the Rochester model B.
Jon
Last edited by Peggy M; 08/30/20244:03 PM. Reason: Remove quote - not necessary ;)
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes! The Carburetor Shop
The picture of a 235 carb in the 1955.2 truck shop manual shows the same beefy link as TexasA&M’s picture. Maybe it’s not for a truck?
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
He said he's working on a Fleetline, which is a car.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto, as long as this thread sticks to a 216 engine (shared in our trucks), it is OK. If it drifts to the car, it will get moved to the Greasy Spoon.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I know. I was answering Kevin's question about the possibility that the the linkage may not be for a truck.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Thanks carbking and everyone - think we'll just rig something after adjusting to hold the cam in place then ultimately probably replace the carb... My 46 1/2 ton had a Carter W1 and I agree - it worked much better...