Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,260 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 | Hi everyone, I've got a 1959 3100 Truck, and it's overall been running pretty well since I got it going almost a year ago. Except recently on a drive, my temp gauge and ammeter both started moving up and down with the engine speed, and pegging out around 30mph. A few minutes down the road, I smeld a hard burning smell, but it kept driving fine after that, though I did find the battery had started leaking after the event. I discovered later that the voltage regulator and the generator were both burned up, though I didn't know which had gone first. I replaced the regulator, and had the generator rebuilt with a brand new armature. When I put it all back together and wired it back the same way, I drove it down the road and it did the same thing within a half hour, right down to the burning smell. I haven't had a chance to check the regulator yet, but I've got zero volts from the generator at idle, so I'm assuming it's just blown up a second time. I've got a different battery on it than the one I had spilled over as well. I'm out of ideas here and a bit out of money to figure it out. Does it sound like they just missed something rebuilding the generator? Or could there be something downstream from the regulator that's caused it all to blow?
"It's-a me!" -Mario
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 | I forgot to mention that this time, when the ammeter pegged out I went ahead and disconnected the generator wires so that it would not blow up my battery again or ruin anything else. It was about ten minutes later that I smelled the burning, so I know for a fact it was the generator burning this time, and as it smelled the same, I'd wager that's what was burning last time too.
"It's-a me!" -Mario
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 | Sounds like you have an intermittent dead short to ground somewhere in the hot side of the charging system, or maybe a complete loss of ground for the system and it was overcharging the battery and feeding high voltage and amps through the wiring searching for a ground.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 | Possible. I could see that causing the pegging, but why would the generator burn up after it was disconnected from everything?
"It's-a me!" -Mario
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Was the regulator adjusted properly when the new generator was installed? There are three very critical regulator adjustments that must be made anytime any component of the charging system is changed. Closing voltage, current regulation, and voltage regulation. If your alleged "rebuilder" didn't insist on matching the generator to the regulator during the repair process, you need to RUN- - - -not walk to a different shop! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 21 | Ah, well that wouldn't explain the first burn up, but possibly the second. All I did after putting the generator in was polarize the regulator. Didn't know anything about those adjustments, and I don't remember reading about them in the setup instructions either. It's also been brought up that my belt might have been on too tight, but I'm not sure about that. It did spin after all, and it failed awfully quick
"It's-a me!" -Mario
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I think your field wire between the regulator and the gen. may be shorted to ground causing full field at the gen. Or the regulator is not grounded which causes infinite charging. The reg. is mounted on "rubber nuts". It must have a ground wire hooked to the base. Preferred going directly to the gen. ground screw. There is usually a small hole in the base of the reg for a metal screw to attach the ground wire to with a star washer.
George They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Let's communicate by PM, and possibly by phone. I can walk you through some basic diagnostic procedures and adjustments that might avoid any further problems. I spent 30-something years teaching auto mechanics, and doing a lot of automotive electrical work since the late 1950s. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |